What's new

What TV Series from Your Childhood do you remember?

Loved all those!
Family Affair was a good show, and I'm surprised in retrospect that I liked it as a youngster.
No action, just family humor and drama.
I almost didn’t list that because it was a show that I didn’t care much for as a youngster. My parents made me sit I. Front of the tv when it came on… I’m so glad they did!

Legion

Staff member
Monkey.

af237bd3d33c80a86732f687cca93f6b.jpeg

How could I forget I Love Lucy and Andy Griffith. I've probably spent the majority of my life watching Andy.

A lot of my favorites seemed to only last one season:
The New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
planet of the apes (live action)
Kolchak: The Night Stalker
Ellery Queen
The Magician
but it did make it cheaper when I bought the series DVD.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A lot of my favorites seemed to only last one season:
The New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
planet of the apes (live action)
Kolchak: The Night Stalker
Ellery Queen
The Magician
but it did make it cheaper when I bought the series DVD.
There are a LOT of one season wonders in my library!
My Mother the Car and Captain Nice to name just 2 of the more obscure ones.

Probably my earliest recollections of TV and especially of shows that I remember loving and watching regularly are Marine Boy and Tales from the Riverbank. I was pleasantly surprised to see them both already mentioned in this thread. It was so long ago that I couldn't be sure that I hadn't just dreamed them but having found evidence of them on YouTube I'm glad to report that they were real and I did love them.

When Marine Boy took out a baddie with his boomerang I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I loved the world of the various rodents and their boats, jeeps, planes etc. in Tales from the Riverbank. Hammy Hamster and friends.

Anyone else remember these?

Not sure why Marine Boy was never more popular and so many are not aware of it that I talk with :)

that show and a bowl of Puffa Puffa Rice was the ideal sat morning for me

in some ways the commercials back then also bring back such memories

brucered

System Generated
In elementary school I used to walk home for lunch and I'd watch a Leave it to Beaver rerun. I thought it was cool that I was watching/enjoying a show that my dad watched when he was a kid.

Same.

And Gilligan’s Island and Get Smart.
I wonder if that was a Canadian tradition. Born in 73, so it was before my time, but I also walked home from school in Toronto to the military base we lived in and watched Leave it to Beaver. Still one of my all time favorite episodes of any show, when Wally gave him a haircut.

Other standouts: The Mighty Hercules (animated), Land of the Lost, The Fugitive, The Incredible Hulk. Lots of cartoons, Tom & Jerry.

Probably my earliest recollections of TV and especially of shows that I remember loving and watching regularly are Marine Boy and Tales from the Riverbank. I was pleasantly surprised to see them both already mentioned in this thread. It was so long ago that I couldn't be sure that I hadn't just dreamed them but having found evidence of them on YouTube I'm glad to report that they were real and I did love them.

When Marine Boy took out a baddie with his boomerang I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I loved the world of the various rodents and their boats, jeeps, planes etc. in Tales from the Riverbank. Hammy Hamster and friends.

Anyone else remember these?
Tales from The Riverbank was originally a Canadian idea I believe. The early ones were lyrical and often very moving now I re-watch them. A bit like the sublime chapter The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn from The Wind In The Willows. I can never read that chapter without choking up a bit even at the age of 62.

Narrated by the wonderful Johnny Morris who also hosted Animal Magic.

Last edited:
Not sure why Marine Boy was never more popular and so many are not aware of it that I talk with :)

that show and a bowl of Puffa Puffa Rice was the ideal sat morning for me

in some ways the commercials back then also bring back such memories

It's funny that as kids way back then we all knew about Niacin, Thiamin and Riboflavin. Seemed like they were always mentioned in cereal commercials. Kids these days have probably never heard the words.

The Honeymooners (re-runs, obviously), Columbo, Perfect Strangers, Family Matters, Full House, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Wonder Years, All in the Family, Three’s Company

Tales from The Riverbank was originally a Canadian idea I believe. The early ones were lyrical and often very moving now I re-watch them. A bit like the sublime chapter The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn from The Wind In The Willows. I can never read that chapter without choking up a bit even at the age of 62.

Narrated by the wonderful Johnny Morris who also hosted Animal Magic.
I wasn't sure if it was Canadian or British. I agree the earlier episodes were the best. They drew me right into that strange but dreamlike little world. It was so cozy.

I had completely forgotten about the show and my memories of it were tucked well away in some dusty corner of my brain but one day several years ago I had someone's guitar in my hand (no I can't play) and just started picking away at any kind of melody that I could get my fingers to produce. I ended up playing, roughly, the first few bars of the Tales of the Riverbank theme music, although I didn't immediately recognize it as such at the time. Although I had played it I knew that I hadn't come up with it. It just sounded so familiar but I couldn't remember where I had heard it before. After repeated attempts at playing it again and again I finally began to get flashes of rodents, cars, waterwheels, airplanes etc. Wasn't one of them named Hammy? I think I googled Hammy Hamster and it was all rediscovered and remembered again.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’ve watched most of the shows mentioned that were on in the States. The older ones when I was young….. the less than ancient ones with our sons as they were growing up.

I might have missed it but I didn’t see Highlander: The Series mentioned. It was my favorite show when I was in my late twenties but I tried watching a few episodes a couple of years ago now. It’s now ummmmmmmm, almost unwatchable for me. I thought the acting was much better than it seems now.

Top Bottom