What's new

November 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Beautiful trip!

Lots of carnage on our camping trip in BC this summer, dog leash was around our pop up canopy support leg, he chased a squirrel thereby folding a leg irreparably. Tore a critical part of our tent while packing up, also irreparably.

Now we're pricing out overland set ups, so that way if we break something....oh crap...it's then more expensive to replace! :D
The first night was unbearable with the pooch - every single sound he was up growling and barking.
Can't believe the kiddos did so well off the grid...

@ChriWilson Love the final image you posted! Nice work!
That's a fairly good size pond - I've fished there in the past; of course it's even better in the Spring when its swollen some.
When the water is down, there is really only 4 shore accessible areas - of which one is canopied by oak and cedar. Took the kiddos to that spot and casted them out where they proceeded to limit trout in less than 30mins - Highlight of my year

Still out! I think I'll make 28/30!

IMG_20231127_194822.jpg

Welp...pulled the plug on a few soaps and succumbed to the BF deals, so I'm out....shocker, I know.:c4:

Failure…. MO’s new lavender soap got me. Stay strong gents! Back at it again next month!

Well...yeah. November is rough, and we've lost a few more right down at the end.

And when more brothers fall, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTMC
2) Jayson74 - out (11/ : AS & RR)
3) Calyshaver - NOCvember - out (11/17: Fatips)
4) Markdad2 - out (11/8: PAA AS)
5) @BrandX
6) @LJBraaten - GRUYERE
7) @hopper_64 - NOCvember
8) @La Malice - GRUYERE, SOTMC
9) @Multum in parvo
10) @silverlifter
11) @iver
12) @Doti B
13) @tjsgarden - GRUYERE, SWS
14) midwestshaver71 - out (11/25: Them Soaps Tho)
15) awk_m4 - 29-of-30 - out (11/21: SOC Mistress)
16) ChriWilson - SOTMC - out (11/16: 2 NOS AOS SS SR)
17) mcee_sharp - out (11/8: Vector)
18) JAHE - out (11/16: LE Brush)
19) Guido75 - NOCvember - out (11/11: 2 Razors)
20) @Bsamps - out (11/8: Karve)
21) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
22) Balin - out (11/15: 2 Chubby)
23) @redrako
24) @elmo_koffman - GRUYERE
25) Tulsa1977 - out (11/26: Lavender Soap)
26) @sarir97
27) @BobbyB
28) den fly - out (11/15: Scuttle Horse)
29) @Submariner
30) Gaspare - out (11/25: AS)
31) @Roedeer
32) @Abz88
33) @Jack Goossen
34) @sandorfi - GRUYERE, SOTMC
35) PersistentlyBlunt - out (11/22: Tabac & Blades)
36) @FL shaver
37) @Pyrate

The December thread is up. If you're prone to FOMO, just think how you'll feel if you miss the last GRUME of the year... :devil:

Still in.

Pre-shave: Shower
Soap: MdC - Rose
Brush: Omega 10066 badger
Razor: Blackland Tradere
Blade: Nacet (1)
Post-shave: Alum Bar, Witch Hazel, Nivea Balm

Sticking with this setup to complete the month.

I usually (actually always) reach shave #3 with the same blade, but, other than a few excursions to test the waters, never more. And then there is today, a new Nacet following a twice used blade. Although the norm has been reaching #3, I never preferred it. It became an unquestioned ritual. So, thanks to the B&B members for sharing diverse experiences and opening my eyes - to the One & Done Club and those pushing 10, 100 or more uses. To each their own with no one right answer. Hopefully we all win in our own way.

9.5/10

Take care.

Day 27, 90% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat (Tallow)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Treet Carbon Steel #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Tried a black Treet carbon steel blade (Thanks, @Mike M ). It was smoother than I expected, and sharp. Deliberately keeping the pressure light paid off, with a good DFS. I got the impression that any user error ATG would be bitier than with an Astra.

It will be interesting to see if shave 2 is smoother (like most coated stainless blades are for me).

Tried a black Treet carbon steel blade (Thanks, @Mike M ). It was smoother than I expected, and sharp. Deliberately keeping the pressure light paid off, with a good DFS. I got the impression that any user error ATG would be bitier than with an Astra.

It will be interesting to see if shave 2 is smoother (like most coated stainless blades are for me).
After all these years I'm still amazed and surprised by the fact that some blades work in a totally different manner on different faces. I've experienced the black Treet Carbon Steel to be one of dullest blades I've ever tried. It just didn't cut well and dragged like crazy, even wtg... but at least they look cool 😎.

Anyway, I'm glad your experience turned out to be way better and I hope your second outing will be even nicer... 😀👍

Cheers!

Date28.11.2023
365 daily shaves
332/365
NOCvember
28/30
Lasta’s Blade Stash09/32

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Prewar Canadian TechGillette Silver Blue (2)Semogue Cherry Finest
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Kox Dutchy Bergamot
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)9/10 (Minor red spots)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary - Another superb shave with the GSB blade. And the Tech wasn’t too bad either :wink2:

Two more days standing on the side lines before we kick off again in Decemboar. What to get, what to get :001_smile

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

25/30...stellar shave this morning with the Moon Soaps Bixby-love the smells, and seems to be one of those that sets itself apart from most soaps. The A/S has some great skin food and leaves that mild glow
I wasn't expecting this close and smooth a shave with the old Gillette but it turned out just shy BBS.
I also have Amaretto and Tobacco Flower. These soaps easily produce a very creamy, rich lather.
Good day gents!

1701175772995.png

3 days of growth

November: 12
2023 GRUYERE : 182

Razor : Merkur 34 HD C
Blade : Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Pre Shave : none
Soap (SOTM) : Nivea Protect and Care cream
Brush : Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: Osma Alum block , Stirling Sharp Dressed Man, Nivea sensitive balm

Another simple shave with a small nick right under the lower lips. The mustache keeps growing, I will need to decide what to do with it as we are closing the month of November.

Still out 29/30. Fourth and final use of the Nacet today. I usually get 5-6 shaves out of one but it was tugging a lot going ATG. Wonder if the R41 blade exposure wears blades out more quickly.

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Nacet (4)
Brush: Parker synthetic
Scuttle: PAA Intergalactic
Soap: Hendrix Gunslinger (SOTM)
AS: Omega Alum Stick, Speick Balm

Still in - SAS 2 weepers
I just don’t like the green Astras and hope this is the last one of the bunch.

Fatip Piccolo Nichelato, Astra Superior Platinum (1), Barbus Classic, Yaqi Obsidian 2Band, Alpa 378 AS

View attachment 1755508

headshave

View attachment 1755510
I'm not a fan of the green Astras either, in fact I'll only use them in a mild closed comb configuration when I do.
They were a fine blade back when I started wet shaving, but then as technique improved and I migrated towards sharper/better blades and open combs they quickly fell out of favor for me.

I'm not a fan of the green Astras either, in fact I'll only use them in a mild closed comb configuration when I do.
They were a fine blade back when I started wet shaving, but then as technique improved and I migrated towards sharper/better blades and open combs they quickly fell out of favor for me.
The blue ones are/were fine lets see how the Indian ones will be.

Top Bottom