What's new

Scentless Saturday

I've scrolled through this thread with interest. I've always used Proraso Eucalyptus/menthol but would like to branch out to the scent-free zone. Any suggestions for the scent free soap I should start with? I face lather 100% of time.

Thanks,
Sully

Any suggestions for the scent free soap I should start with? I face lather 100% of time.
I'm guessing that @MaineYooper has used more scent free soaps than most of us. So he would probably be the best guy to answer your question.

Beaming you up, Eric.

BTW, welcome to the madhouse (B&B) Sully. :thumbup:
... and while we're at it, is there a maximum price you're willing to pay for a tub?

I'm guessing that @MaineYooper has used more scent free soaps than most of us. So he would probably be the best guy to answer your question.

Beaming you up, Eric.

... and while we're at it, is there a maximum price you're willing to pay for a tub?
It's...
BEDTIMEFORBONZO1SHHR-600x873.jpg

So I will chime in tomorrow! Thanks for the kind words, @Cal!

And I forgot to snap a shot this morning, so here is an old one
01_02 sotw.jpg

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've scrolled through this thread with interest. I've always used Proraso Eucalyptus/menthol but would like to branch out to the scent-free zone. Any suggestions for the scent free soap I should start with? I face lather 100% of time.

Thanks,
Sully

Sully, these are by far the two I like best and recommend...

CanadaShavingSoap.9-22.640JPG.JPG
10-30-22.CK-6.Scentsless.640.JPG

Both are excellent in all respects.

Canada Shaving Soap has a very simple list of ingredients much like MdC. Unlike MdC it is not at all drying to my prone-to-dryness skin. It also doesn't (for me) load in the magical manner MdC does.

Canada Shaving Soap tubs are loaded to the brim. I've found it necessary to remove with a scrapping tool, a spoon, about half the soap, putting half in another container for future use. That's so I can more easily load my brush off the puck without making a mess.

Canada Shaving Soap is a very hard soap. Perhaps not the hardest in existence but impressively hard.

In my opinion, Canada Shaving Soap is a good buy. Yes, it's not cheap, but the tubs last and last and last.

CK-6 Scentsless is a considerably softer soap with a complex ingredients list. According to me, it, like Canada Shaving Soap, has no downsides. The CK-6 tubs are not skimpy, but CK-6 won't last like Canada Shaving Soap.

I've tried a handful of other unscented or scentless soap. I believe these two are the best I've tried.

My lathers are extremely well hydrated. Both soaps tolerate the addition of gallons of water without breaking down. (Some unscented soaps I've tried fail in that department.)

I've not tried any of Frank's unscented soap but the Ethos soaps I've tried have had excellent bases. I'll probably buy one of Frank's scentless soaps. Every time I check the size I want is out of stock.

Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg

Face lathering is all I do with a shaving brush.

Well, maybe I might admire a brush on occasion but you know what I mean.​

Probably I'd give a slight edge to Canada Shaving Soap today, but don't get the idea I'd be even a smidgeon bummed out if all I had was CK-6. Both are excellent and highly satisfactory.

Hope that helps a little.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Beaming you up, Eric.

Thanks for the welcome and for the lead Cal!

Reactions: Cal

Beaming you up, Eric.

Oh, and IDK about price range for a shave soap. I'd probably feel like I was being excessive spending more than $20.

For ten years I've only used Proraso -- been perfectly content with it -- and a tube lasts me 6 months or so. A big part of the reason I got into wet shaving in the first place was to stop wasting $ to shave. I figure having used the same EJ89 razor and EJ BB brush for ten years, I've saved hundreds of dollars. Maybe now is the time to reverse the trend and start buying new gear and sampling fancy soaps :)

I have been thinking about trying Stirling shave soap (scented and unscented). Is there a general consensus about this line and how it compares to some of the "go-to" soaps on this thread?

Thanks again,
Sully

Sully, these are by far the two I like best and recommend...

Both are excellent in all respects.

Canada Shaving Soap has a very simple list of ingredients much like MdC. Unlike MdC it is not at all drying to my prone-to-dryness skin. It also doesn't (for me) load in the magical manner MdC does.

Canada Shaving Soap tubs are loaded to the brim. I've found it necessary to remove with a scrapping tool, a spoon, about half the soap, putting half in another container for future use. That's so I can more easily load my brush off the puck without making a mess.

Canada Shaving Soap is a very hard soap. Perhaps not the hardest in existence but impressively hard.

In my opinion, Canada Shaving Soap is a good buy. Yes, it's not cheap, but the tubs last and last and last.

CK-6 Scentsless is a considerably softer soap with a complex ingredients list. According to me, it, like Canada Shaving Soap, has no downsides. The CK-6 tubs are not skimpy, but CK-6 won't last like Canada Shaving Soap.

I've tried a handful of other unscented or scentless soap. I believe these two are the best I've tried.

My lathers are extremely well hydrated. Both soaps tolerate the addition of gallons of water without breaking down. (Some unscented soaps I've tried fail in that department.)

I've not tried any of Frank's unscented soap but the Ethos soaps I've tried have had excellent bases. I'll probably buy one of Frank's scentless soaps. Every time I check the size I want is out of stock.

View attachment 1548599
Face lathering is all I do with a shaving brush.

Well, maybe I might admire a brush on occasion but you know what I mean.​

Probably I'd give a slight edge to Canada Shaving Soap today, but don't get the idea I'd be even a smidgeon bummed out if all I had was CK-6. Both are excellent and highly satisfactory.

Hope that helps a little.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks for the suggestions Jim. A good place to start. Also happy to meet a fellow face latherer!

Have you ever tried the Stirling soap line? If so, how do you think it compares to the CSS?

Cheers,
Sully

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've had my Canada Shaving soap for 6 months now. I use it at least 3 to 1 vs. the other soaps I have and it's down from the top about 3/16ths of an inch. And I'm generous with the amounts I scrape off into my shaving bowl. I think it ends up being quite inexpensive per use. I need to add, I'm not an every day shaver... usually every other day unless I get occupied. ;)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for the suggestions Jim. A good place to start. Also happy to meet a fellow face latherer!

Have you ever tried the Stirling soap line? If so, how do you think it compares to the CSS?

Cheers,
Sully

You're welcome, Sully. Oh, welcome to the conversation and B&B; I just noticed you just joined.

I've used a Stirling soap or two, but it was years ago. I don't recall much about the soap other than the scent(s) which were pretty strong. Back then I liked a strong scent. Now I know better. My guess is the base was pretty good.

Make no mistake. There are terrible shaving soaps. I've tried at least one which simply wouldn't lather. There are are soaps which work well for some guys (with their skin, whiskers, and water), but don't work well for other fellows. There are also soaps with scents some guys love and other gentlemen hate.

That said, most soaps widely discussed on B&G are pretty good regardless of their price.

Vitos Red 1000ml.png

If money is a major issue or even if it's not, I'll suggest Vitos Red Cocco. You can find it on Amazon or eBay or sometimes on various European sites (where it might be cheaper even with shipping so shop around). You'll find a lot of information about unscented soaps in this thread and elsewhere should you look around. Strictly speaking Vitos is not an unscented soap, but you'll see in just lnked thread in its first post how I get rid of the scent. Some say it still has a slight coconut scent even after my process, but I don't appreciate the scent after the process. (I can't smell it anymore.)

VitosRed.Box.Sticker-on-End.Coco.5-1-20.480.JPG

Vitos Red Cocco has increased in price and gotten harder to find, but it can still be found. It comes in a ~1 Kg block or maybe it's a 1000 ml block. Regardless it is enough for a very long time. I'd guess a block lasts perhaps a couple of years.

2-21-22.CH3.Manchurian.VitosRed.Sailor.640.JPG

It's an excellent soap. There are three versions. One is green. One is red. They're fine, but I prefer the Cocco version which is pictured here.

It is a fairly soft soap with a consistency like putty. I like it very much and have used it hundreds of times. I'm not the only fan. Cal@Cal has used it a lot, too, but I doubt he considers it scentless.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You're welcome, Sully. Oh, welcome to the conversation and B&B; I just noticed you just joined.

I've used a Stirling soap or two, but it was years ago. I don't recall much about the soap other than the scent(s) which were pretty strong. Back then I liked a strong scent. Now I know better. My guess is the base was pretty good.

Make no mistake. There are terrible shaving soaps. I've tried at least one which simply wouldn't lather. There are are soaps which work well for some guys (with their skin, whiskers, and water), but don't work well for other fellows. There are also soaps with scents some guys love and other gentlemen hate.

That said, most soaps widely discussed on B&G are pretty good regardless of their price.

View attachment 1548852

If money is a major issue or even if it's not, I'll suggest Vitos Red Cocco. You can find it on Amazon or eBay or sometimes on various European sites (where it might be cheaper even with shipping so shop around). You'll find a lot of information about unscented soaps in this thread and elsewhere should you look around. Strictly speaking Vitos is not an unscented soap, but you'll see in just lnked thread in its first post how I get rid of the scent. Some say it still has a slight coconut scent even after my process, but I don't appreciate the scent after the process. (I can't smell it anymore.)

View attachment 1548851

Vitos Red Cocco has increased in price and gotten harder to find, but it can still be found. It comes in a ~1 Kg block or maybe it's a 1000 ml block. Regardless it is enough for a very long time. I'd guess a block lasts perhaps a couple of years.

View attachment 1548854

It's an excellent soap. There are three versions. One is green. One is red. They're fine, but I prefer the Cocco version which is pictured here.

It is a fairly soft soap with a consistency like putty. I like it very much and have used it hundreds of times. I'm not the only fan. Cal@Cal has used it a lot, too, but I doubt he considers it scentless.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks Jim. I appreciate recommendations like this (even though I know they're always subjective and contingent on many variables) because clearly it's a product you are very familiar with. I may be heading to Italy soon, and I may have to spend some time tracking it down while there. Looks like a TON of soap! It certainly checks the "reasonably priced" box.

Thanks again and cheers,
Sully

Oh, and IDK about price range for a shave soap. I'd probably feel like I was being excessive spending more than $20.

For ten years I've only used Proraso -- been perfectly content with it -- and a tube lasts me 6 months or so. A big part of the reason I got into wet shaving in the first place was to stop wasting $ to shave. I figure having used the same EJ89 razor and EJ BB brush for ten years, I've saved hundreds of dollars. Maybe now is the time to reverse the trend and start buying new gear and sampling fancy soaps :)

I have been thinking about trying Stirling shave soap (scented and unscented). Is there a general consensus about this line and how it compares to some of the "go-to" soaps on this thread?

Thanks again,
Sully
I am sorry I didn't get back to the thread today. I do have a comparison chart for prices, because BOSC! I will do my best to post it tomorrow if I don't find the link tonight.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks Jim. I appreciate recommendations like this (even though I know they're always subjective and contingent on many variables) because clearly it's a product you are very familiar with. I may be heading to Italy soon, and I may have to spend some time tracking it down while there. Looks like a TON of soap! It certainly checks the "reasonably priced" box.

Thanks again and cheers,
Sully

A great many favorite shaving products are made in Italy. I know nothing about how to find them there.

Probably gentlemen on B&B know how to plan a BOSC tour of Italy, but i'm not one of them. Since I'm on the outs with Big Nurse at the moment I can't even ask her who to ask.

Just looking around a little I found this thread which discusses shopping in Italy. I'm sure there are many ways to go about it.

It's no longer the case that this soap, ABC, is my favorite or the best I've tried even of the Italian soaps, but it's still a great soap. As I recall it's a product made by, or sold by, or associated with a barber shop in Italy I'd consider visiting.

According to one post in this interesting thread it's possible to visit the Zenith brush factory in Sicily. Such a thing would appeal to me were I in the neighborhood.

As you know, there are a great many Italian soaps worth consideration. Also, one razor, the Fatip. My guess is the BOSC Ambassador to Fatip, Rave @Raven Koenes would know how to arrange a factory tour if anyone would.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I put this together in November 2021, using the soaps I had on hand at the time. Of note, I thought that Ethos and Canada Shaving Soap were too expensive for my liking, based on the per tub cost. When I made this chart, I was surprised to see the Canada Soap in the same ballpark as PAA's CK-6 formula Scentsless.

Alphabetical
SOAPWEIGHT (oz)PRICECOST/Oz
Black Tie #134$14.00$3.50
Canda Shaving6.2$32.00$5.16
Ethos4$34.00$8.50
Haslinger2.1$9.00$4.29
House of Mammoth4$22.00$5.50
Hub City4$17.00$4.25
Lakewood5$17.50$3.50
Mike's4$12.00$3.00
Mystic Water4$14.15$3.54
Noble Otter4$14.00$3.50
Scentsless CK-65$25.00$5.00
Shannon's4$12.00$3.00
Stirling (any)5.8$14.00$2.41
Zingari Man5$21.00$4.20

Cost per ounce
Ethos4$34.00$8.50
Haslinger2.1$9.00$4.29
Hub City4$17.00$4.25
Zingari Man5$21.00$4.20
Mystic Water4$14.15$3.54
Noble Otter4$14.00$3.50
Lakewood5$17.50$3.50
Mike's4$12.00$3.00
Shannon's4$12.00$3.00

Price per tub
Ethos4$34.00$8.50
Zingari Man5$21.00$4.20
Lakewood5$17.50$3.50
Hub City4$17.00$4.25
Mystic Water4$14.15$3.54
Noble Otter4$14.00$3.50
Mike's4$12.00$3.00
Shannon's4$12.00$3.00
Haslinger2.1$9.00$4.29

And here is something I wrote up in November 2021 at the request of the guys on the Shave of the Week Society.

Since 2015, I have tried numerous unscented soaps. Why unscented? My wife has severe allergies and sinus issues, and strong or unpleasant scents (to her) will trigger a sinus headache or migraine. I can make a list of the soaps I have tried sometime, but in 2019 I stopped buying and used up what I had, settling on the Top Three soaps for me. These three will always be stocked in my shave kit. They are, in order of discovery, Mystic Water Soaps Sensitive Skin (11/2015), Mike’s Natural Soap Unscented (1/2016), and Shannon’s Soaps Nil (2/2016). What follows will be based on my experience and preferences. You have been warned!

Currently there are 15 different soaps in my soap drawer. There was one other, but I donated it to a Shavers in Need thread on another forum.

Here are my thoughts. The order is sort of alphabetical by maker.

1. Canada shaving soap: This is my most expensive soap, $41 CAD, plus $15 shipping. It is a hard soap, and the tub is filled to the rim, 175g of soap. It has only 6 ingredients, non-tallow, and a compelling story Our Story - Canada Shaving Soap. It lathers very fast, and since filled to the rim, I make a mess. I find loading 30 seconds and adding water makes a great lather. I am on the fence on this one. It leaves me feeling good, but the cost keeps bugging me. On the positive side, after using it almost 3 dozen times (lately I am using it to break in a boar brush), it hardly shows any sign of use! So maybe the price, averaged over the soap’s life, will make it worth it. But for now, I won’t buy again, but that is only due to cost.
  2. Ethos Clean: Second most expensive soap, $34 USD, and tallow based. I liked the description, I have read the reviews of the scented version, but I don’t think it works any better than Mystic Water Soap for post-shave face feel.
  3. Haslinger Aloe Vera: another hard soap, very inexpensive, and a light aloe scent. I have not used it more than 10 times, so the jury is out on it. Initial response is Meh.
  4. House of Mammoth Z: tallow, 4 oz, $22 USD. A self-billed luxury soap. I like it, and plan to Buy Again.
  5. Hub City Birthday Suit: tallow, 4 oz, and good stuff for skin. I like this one a lot, even after first use, my notes show I loved it. Lathers easily and abundantly, creamy, slick, etc. Water added can of course vary the lather, but this one Wowwed me right away. Buy Again.
  6. Lakewood Soap Co revisited (11/6/21). Tallow, 5 oz. $17.50 USD. Performed well, but pricey. Didn’t outshine any of my top soaps, so I don’t see this as a buy again. Meh.
  7. Mike’s Natural Soap: tallow, 4 oz, available as refill puck or in tub $12 USD tub). A great soap, ideal lather, very good post-shave feel. Buy Again.
  8. Mitchell’s Wool Fat: tallow, hard soap, has a light scent that I am uncertain about. I used it once, and am currently airing it out in the furnace room, seeing if I can’t reduce that light, sort of powdery yet clean smell. If I can smell it, my wife will most certainly. Not enough time with soap, but scent probably means Don’t Buy Again.
  9. Mystic Water Soap Sensitive Skin: tallow, 4oz puck or tub ($14.15 USD). This is my Gold Standard, Buy Again soap. Great lather, I like the smell (only from ingredients, no fragrance added) and wonderful post-shave feel.
  10. Noble Otter Bare: tallow, 4 oz, $14 USD. Impressed me from the first time I used it. Definitely a Buy Again.
  11. Shannon’s Soaps Nil: tallow, 4 oz, $11.95 USD for a tub. Awesomeness in a tub. Easy lather, great slickness, a Mary Poppins of shave soaps (Practically Perfect in every way!) Buy Again, don’t wait!
  12. Stirling Beeswax: tallow, 5.8 oz, $14 USD. First use didn’t wow me, but this soap won me over, to where I now love it! I think I didn’t add enough water on first use, or the razor was rough and I blamed the soap. Subsequent uses changed my mind dramatically. Buy Again.
  13. Stirling Naked and Smooth: as above. I had a sample back in early 2016 and I didn’t care for it. I was gifted a puck earlier this year, and still not impressed. I gifted it as well. Meh.
  14. Stirling Sheep: tallow, lanolin, shea butter. $14 USD, 5.8 oz. Another home run from Stirling. And the ONLY company I know of that makes THREE unscented soaps. I love two of them. Buy Again.
  15. Vintage Williams: tallow, a hard soap, price varies, no longer made as tallow. Age diminished all fragrance to having no detectable odor. Lathered well, and fun for nostalgia. With enough water it makes a very good lather.
  16. Zingari Man unscented: tallow, 5 oz, $21 USD. Top of the food chain per website, great lather and post-shave. Buy Again.
There you have it, my current soaps and thoughts. The final tally is 3 Don’t Buy Again, 4 Meh, and 9 Buy Again. [November 6, 2021]
  1. Here are my initial thoughts, after 4 uses of Sir Henry's/Black Tie #13: This is a nice soap! 4 oz, and priced at $14 USD. I was impressed at the first lathering and am still impressed. Not meh, but with so many wonderful soaps, I simply can't buy them all! I would probably place this one with Hub City, Shannon's, and Noble Otter, which I guess means I may Buy Again! (10/27/21)
  2. PAA Scentsless (Formula CK-6). Non-tallow (made from premium veg fats), $25 USD for 5 oz. This stuff is awesome, worth every penny!
  3. Bartigan & Stark Nil. Liking this a lot so far.
  4. Sheermonik Pur. Have it but haven’t tried it yet. [after trying, I moved it on]
  5. Martin de Candre Nature. Two shaves in on a sample and liking it so far. [irritating to my face, and I tossed it since it was a sample]

I have since added some more, like MacDuff's Aspen Parkland (really liking this one!) and two more that I told myself I can't open until I finish some others. Currently, there are 12 open tubs and the 2 unopend ones (Deton Majik's unscented and Murphy & McNeil Nil).
For the curious, the 12 in use are:
  1. Sir Henry's Black Tie #13
  2. Mystic Water Soap Sensitive Skin
  3. Mike's Natural Soap
  4. Shannon's Soaps Nil
  5. Stirling unscented with beeswax
  6. Stirling Sheep
  7. Vintage William's Mug soap
  8. Ethos Clean
  9. Canada Shaving Soap
  10. MacDuff's Aspen Parkland
  11. PAA Scentsless (CK-6 formula)
  12. Zingari Man

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well Done, @MaineYooper .

I have some Mystic Water Sensitive Skin soap based on an earlier recommendation of yours but I haven't used it yet. I've been doing some razor testing and have been trying to change only one thing.... the razor, to determine how I like it, so I've been using Canada Shaving Soap, for the most part.

I'll have to give Mystic Water a spin for the next few shaves.

Thanks.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Excellent presentation and information, Eric. Big Nurse commented just minutes ago.

OCD Elixer.246.jpg
I believe she said something about you needing a swig of this stuff, but I'm hearing voices today and can't quite be sure of anything.

I'm a bit confused about your comments concerning the price of Canada Shaving Soap.

On the positive side, after using it almost 3 dozen times (lately I am using it to break in a boar brush), it hardly shows any sign of use! So maybe the price, averaged over the soap’s life, will make it worth it. But for now, I won’t buy again, but that is only due to cost.

I'm not hung up on the cost of soaps. I mean of course reasonably priced soaps. Tom Ford soaps and such as that can pound sand in my opinion but then again I doubt they offer unscented versions. (Even if they do, I'm not interested.)

Isn't the most telling indicator of cost the cost per shave rather than the cost per ounce? Not that you or I or anyone should necessarily do the work to quantitate such a thing, but, just educated-guessing I'd say that Canada Shaving Soap is less expensive per shave than PAA CK-6. I love both of these soaps, but not for their price. Perhaps tomorrow I'll decide I like CK-6 better but today I'd pick CSS over it. (Fortunately I don't have to decide.)

I'm not wild about Shannon's NIL or Mystic Water in the same way you are, but all that proves is everyone has different skin, whiskers, water, preshave routines and products, and perhaps taste. It's also possible I'd like either of these much more were I to use them much more.

Big Nurse mentioned it's time for my shot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just noticed fumbling around that Murphy and McNeil make an unscented highly fatted soap. I know very little about their products and bases.

If anybody's tried it I'd love to hear about it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom