What's new

Saltspring Soapworks shaving soap, balm, and cream

Once you're known as a shaver, you tend to get shaving-oriented presents---at least in this family. But some very nice discoveries get made, and I want to point out one, especially to Canadian readers.

The Saltspring Soapworks makes a shaving soap, shaving cream, and aftershave balm.

The label on the soap reads "Aromatic Eucalyptus is blended with oils of Camphor and Clove; Allantoin accelerates healing. Lanolin, Glycerine, Beeswax, and Fullers Earth in a rich lubricating base of palm and coconut oils to soften beard and prevent irritation." The smell is excellent, but I've not yet used it. (Tuesday is a shaving cream day.)

And I got a bottle of the excellent Stone Bay Aftershave Balm: "Bracing Eucalyptus, calming Birch and Cherry Bark are indispensable for irritated and problem skin. Aloe Vera adds its healing qualities to this moisturizing gel [which also includes Vitamin E - LG]." I did use that, and I really like it---and generally speaking, I don't like balms.

Anyway, if you're looking around, these are definitely worth a go. I didn't get the shaving cream, but I'll probably order a tub before long.

BTW, be sure to go to their home page---they make quite a range of soaps, including some specifically for gardeners.

The ingredients list for the soap from the label:

Aromatic Eucalyptus is blended with oils of Camphor and Clove; Allantoin accelerates healing. Lanolin, Glycerine, Beeswax, and Fullers Earth in a rich lubricating base of palm and coconut oils to soften beard and prevent irritation.

Probably you can get full info on the other products by using the "Contact" info from the site.

Richard from Canada says that, for him, the soap was more or less totally unsatisfactory. I'm going to use it tomorrow and report back. It does smell wonderful.

Thanks Michael, that is very helpful of you.

I believe Richard to prefer a dry lather, and given the stuff in this soap I can see how it might not be "appropriate" for him.

However, it looks great to me :drool:

I must say, i've never seen mention of beeswax in a shave soap....thats quite interesting :thumbsup:

Well, as promised, my shave report. I see what Richard means: you can lather the soap up a lot, but when you apply it to your face, the lather seems somehow thin. I got a good enough shave, but the experience wasn't all there: I missed the thick lather the consistency of whipped cream. Still, I'll try again.

The aftershave balm, OTOH, was actually pretty good. I'm not much of a balm boy, but I'll definitely use this stuff again.

And I like the idea of supporting a little Soapworks on Salt Spring Island (where my bro-in-law and family live).

Top Bottom