What's new

your thoughts on shirt/tie combos, what do you wear?

So I start a new job Monday and its a big promotion from my current job. I need to step up my work attire. I went out a bought some new shirts and ties but I still need a few more and I need to pick up some more dress pants. I am fairly new to the shirt and tie game other than solid color shirts and basic ties. I need suggestions on what colors and patterns mesh well and what color pants to wear with them. Right now I just have black and a few shades of khaki. I would love some input from the well dressed members of B&B. Thanks.

More people have been moving to thinner ties, not necessary the super-slim ones but things in the 2.5-3" wide range. There's been a lot of movement towards shirts with patterns, and with smaller collars. A lot depends on your build and how you're wearing them too (just with pants, or with a jacket).
I still love getting GQ magazine for ideas, they've got a lot of stuff on their website too that you can glance through just to get ideas for shirt/tie/outfit combos (try checking out the link below)
http://www.gq.com/style/style-manual/201204/shirts-guide-sizing-fit#slide=1

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So I start a new job Monday and its a big promotion from my current job. I need to step up my work attire. I went out a bought some new shirts and ties but I still need a few more and I need to pick up some more dress pants. I am fairly new to the shirt and tie game other than solid color shirts and basic ties. I need suggestions on what colors and patterns mesh well and what color pants to wear with them. Right now I just have black and a few shades of khaki. I would love some input from the well dressed members of B&B. Thanks.

Congratulations!!

A white dress shirt never goes out of style. And it goes with everything.

If you wear a solid-coloured shirt, be sure it's a light shade, not dark. This blue ...

proxy.php
not this one ...
2Q==

Ditto pink, green, lilac, whatever. Stripes are trickier, so we'll leave that for now.

A couple good "conservative" ties (small, subtle repeating patterns ... dots work great) will work wonders. You can wear them very frequently without drawing attention to it being "that tie again".

proxy.php

A burgundy one will go nicely with a blue shirt, a darker blue one will go with a pink shirt, and everything goes with a white shirt.

But don't wear a white shirt with a black tie and black pants you will look like a waiter. I like Solid shirts with heavily patterned ties.

start buying mens magazines for some tips.
slate.com is a great site as well.
Over the years t comes naturally to me but hit up a marshalls for some big savings.
Stick to solids, avoid reds or bright colors, no real dark colors eaither, no blacks or red wine shirts.
I love shoes so I have many belts as well, to match the shoes and a few watches. remember, belt, shoes and watch - match color.
use french cuffs for meetings or occasions. They look great as well with a light jacket. I worked corporate for over 12 years so suits and ties was a daily thing. I have handkerchiefs, money belt and always a nice pen on hand. I grew up poor but our dad raised us like gentlemen.

Over the years t comes naturally to me but hit up a marshalls for some big savings.
Stick to solids, avoid reds or bright colors, no real dark colors eaither, no blacks or red wine shirts.
I love shoes so I have many belts as well, to match the shoes and a few watches. remember, belt, shoes and watch - match color.
use french cuffs for meetings or occasions. They look great as well with a light jacket. I worked corporate for over 12 years so suits and ties was a daily thing. I have handkerchiefs, money belt and always a nice pen on hand. I grew up poor but our dad raised us like gentlemen.

Perfect!

Great advice! Cheers!

Top Bottom