What's new

Your First Badger?

Even though my first brush purchase was a Vulfix 2235 for $69.95, I think I would have bought the C&E had I known what I do today [hindsight is the best sight]. After more than a year, I still have my Vulfix and it remains in my rotation. I wanted softer and less floppy so I bought a ShaveMac 23mm Silvertip which is now my favorite. The C&E was my third brush purchase this past spring and I really like it as well and use it often with soaps. Fourth I added a Savile Row 3120, which I really love as well.

I agree with many others here that the $35 C&E brush should be the #1 recommendation for a new wetshaver. It allows one to have a standard [that almost everyone here is familiar with] to use in comparison to other brushes that are discussed on the forum, and serves well in helping to decide which brush to buy next! The C&E is one of the best values in the shaving brush world, IMHO!

From what I've read, few are content with one brush. One should not expect to find 'shaving brush nirvana' in his/her first brush purchase. That is why the C&E serves as a great starting place. I thought one brush would be all I would ever need when I purchased my Vulfix...little did I know that "need" has absolutely nothing to do with wetshaving! :lol: I have four brushes and have more on my radar screen.

I'm finding that I'm more interested in spending my $ on different razors vs. different brushes. For context I should say that I've been wet shaving for all of a week, with a '57 SS, KMF cream & HoneybeeSue soaps, and a cheap bristle brush that I got at Target as part of a 3 item starter kit. Someone here posted a pic of it earlier this week. I have ordered the inexpensive C&E brush - couldn't resist the 20% off sale - but, based on what others here have said about this brush, can't imagine spending the $ for another, much more expensive brush. So clearly I'm developing RAD vs. SBAD.

I don't know what is the best first brush, I only know what I started with: a Vulfix 2233 Super Badger at $55. I know it is not perfect, but I still really enjoy shaving with it after a little more than two months.

Yes, it is floppy, but it feels luxurious on my face, especially when I do that entire face washing that you () suggested. :wink: After four passes of shaving, it still has enough lather to make my face look like it is covered in thick whipped cream! :eek: :cool:

Tim

I bought the C&E Best Badger after a few weeks of using the Omega Boar. I really have no complaints. It is a good badger brush for a good price.

I would probably be using it for a long time yet, but you guys had to go and develop the B&B brush. Even if I stop using it once I get the B&B brush, I dont regret buying it.

I used Crabtree & Evelyn for my first brush and creams. Works great, now I am ready to step to another level and have been searching online for a great purveyor of HD supplies. Good Luck

I have found the smaller brushes work well for me..easier to create lather and easier to apply lather on face without it going all over the place. My first brush was a Vulfix #403 and I still love using it.

My first brush was a $20 col conk which I gave to my dad after a months use. My first real brush was a Simpson's chubby 1 super and I could not be happier with it. It really does a great job.

In hindsight I would have just bought the C&E instead of the Col Conk to begin with, but then I would have never gotten my dad into wetshaving (b/c I probably would have kept it).

Chris

Brushes like any of other shaving products are very subjective. By one person not liking a product is not meant to put down anyone else who owns and enjoys that product. Just to be clear; because I do not want anyone to get hurt feelings. No one means to put down anyone else. I just wanted this thought to be clear in this thread. Some people's posts seem like they may be getting their feelings hurt, I don't want that to happen. :smile:

Top Bottom