What's new

Yixing(?) pot identification help.

When I was at the local antique hoarder (old man with a whole barn full of old stuff:001_tt1:) I found this little darling:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

All I can say about it is that it is a 200ml and that I think it's yixing clay since it has a very porous texture.

It has a few stamps on it, anyone understand or recogize them? I'm sorry if they are upside down, I have no way of telling.

Small stamp under lid:
proxy.php

Stamp on the bottom of the pot.
EDIT: Felt like it was upside down, so I turned it.
proxy.php

Any information is greatly appriciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
When I was at the local antique hoarder (old man with a whole barn full of old stuff:001_tt1:) I found this little darling:

All I can say about it is that it is a 200ml and that I think it's yixing clay since it has a very porous texture.

It has a few stamps on it, anyone understand or recogize them? I'm sorry if they are upside down, I have no way of telling.

Any information is greatly appriciated.

Cheers

I can't help you identify it but it looks to be a lower quality pot....as you would expect. I have done the same thing. In my haste I have aquired several lower quality pots. Its fun to get them but they are not useful for improving your teas. I could always be wrong about this one as I can't see it in person. I would invest in a $30-$50 pot if it were me.

I can't help you identify it but it looks to be a lower quality pot....as you would expect. I have done the same thing. In my haste I have aquired several lower quality pots. Its fun to get them but they are not useful for improving your teas. I could always be wrong about this one as I can't see it in person. I would invest in a $30-$50 pot if it were me.

Yeah I guess that it would be of low quality, was hoping for otherwise but, well. I am going to put down an order for more sheng soon. I guess a proper yixing will be amongst the things in my order. I am ordering from yunnansourcing, do you have any recommendations for a good pot that would deliver ~1dl tea?

Honestly I have not purchased a good Yixing. When I think about spending $50 on another brewing vessel, that may or may not improve my sessions, I usually just buy more tea. I know exactly how to brew with my gaiwan. At some point I will buy one.....I think. :001_tongu

Honestly I have not purchased a good Yixing. When I think about spending $50 on another brewing vessel, that may or may not improve my sessions, I usually just buy more tea. I know exactly how to brew with my gaiwan. At some point I will buy one.....I think. :001_tongu

I have been thinking the same here, but the problem I have with the gaiwan is that after about 3 brewings it feels like your fingers are going to burn off, and I usually want more brewings than that.

Currently I am thinking about getting this yixing. I picked this one most because I like the looks, anyone know if there is a noticeable differeance between the black and red clays and would black be a bad choice?

If you are holding the gaiwan correctly it should not burn you.

http://anotherteablog.blogspot.com/2007/11/how-to-hold-gaiwan-like-pro.html

As far as that Yixing goes it looks like it would be just fine.

Woah, I am retarded! I kinda disregarded using the tray like that. I still think that the lid gets a bit warm though, and for some reason I find using a yixing is a more pleasureable experience for me.

Thanks for the help. Now I will order a decent pot and my gaiwan will do me fine until then. :001_smile

Top Bottom