What's new

Where Do You Buy Your Spices?

Many B & B brethren enjoy cooking; myself included. IMO one of the most important things we can do to impact the final result is the choices we make for using spices during the entire process. Many years ago (>12) I came across a company located in WI that at the time was catalog/mail order with a store front in their town.

It was amazing to me the difference 'real, fresh spices' made. I was someone that thought McCormick's in the baking aisle was the source for spices and it was a revelation to me that there was such a difference between store bought mass produced spices and quality spices. To top it off, my source was less expensive in many cases.

The company has since grown, developed a nice web presence and opened retail stores in many markets. www.penzeys.com is the site and the owners are great people. Check it out....

If you have sources to share for spices or have found a company that has great products, please share their info. There are so many hidden jewels that people aren't aware of and I am always looking for something and often don't know what it is until I run across it.

-Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the tip on Penzey's. They have a shop very close to where I live here in Houston. SHMBO and I will have to check it out.

I'll second the Penzey's recommendation (though their magazine, Penzey's One, leaves a little to be desired). My wife bought 20 or so of their spices, along with a few bags of dried peppers, for me for Christmas a couple of years ago.

I can't speak for the difference between typical store-bought spices (the basics) and what Penzey's offers, since most of the ones we have are the more 'specific' ones (like Singapore Seasoning and Bold Taco Seasoning). I will, however, give a glowing recommendation for their Chicago Steak Seasoning. Rub some of that into your steaks, throw on the grill, and that's all you need. Great for hamburgers, too (as are the barbeque ones).

Penzey's & their black peppercorns are my favorite. They sure win easily over the brand name store bought ones! :thumbup:

There has been a Penzeys here for years. We also have other locations that deal in fresh herbs, and some shops with specialty sections for spices.

I usually use Penzeys. There is also Spice House which is owned by people from the same Penzey family but there was a family split when the father handed down the business. I buy enough herbs and spices to use for a year, date them when I get them and rebuy them each year. They usually only do spice harvests once a year so it doesn't make much sense to keep it around longer. You never know how old the stuff is in the grocery stores and I like being able to buy the quantity I need.

Dennis

Local groceries that have a bulk spices section.

For me in the Dallas area, this is Sprouts Farmers Market, Whole foods, and Central Market.

What are the good spice mixtures at Penzeys? I'm a very fancy cook but on numerous occasions I've thought that my food has tasted kinda bland and thought some spices would help out whatever I had made. I've gone through their site and picked out a few of the basics to pick up, but they seems to have quite a selection.. I'm somewhat overwhelmed :confused:

What are the good spice mixtures at Penzeys? I'm a very fancy cook but on numerous occasions I've thought that my food has tasted kinda bland and thought some spices would help out whatever I had made. I've gone through their site and picked out a few of the basics to pick up, but they seems to have quite a selection.. I'm somewhat overwhelmed :confused:

I understand being overwhelmed by Penzeys selection, but really; just browse their web store and order a small jar of whatever sounds good. I have some regulars such as the Maharajah Curry that I always have on hand, and their Southwestern Blend, along with the BBQ of the Americas, or or or. Their extra bold (tellicherry?) black pepper is kick *** good, with heaps of extra aroma. I think you get the idea that I like their spices, and on-line ordering makes it darn nice for me.
Man, I don't know if I need a cigarette or a shave after that!:crying:

Went to Penzey's today and ended up with 7 little containers -- oregano, cumin, granulated garlic, black pepper, sweet curry, Old World Seasoning, and chili con carne seasoning. The sales person commented on the Old World Seasoning and said it was great for burgers, so I made a burger with it tonight -- good stuff.

Now I just gotta figure out how to cook :wink:

I've been a Penzeys man for years. Great place. I generally don't use too many pre-blended mixtures, but my individual spice cabinet is all Penzeys.

Their chili powder and basic curry powder are also staples in my house.

Hi Scott. Thank you for this posting. A most worthwhile topic. I had stumbled upon Penzey's a couple of years ago while browsing online for something else entirely. It is nice to see some members give them a thumbs up. I will likely ordere some peppercorns and other hard to get items from them.

Regards, Todd

I guess I haven't started trying to be a connoisseur with my spices. I just buy the ones at the grocery store. :redface:

Tim

Top Bottom