What's new

What kind of badger is this?

(First off, in case you don't know, I'm a girl)

A few years back I bought some makeup brushes that were made of "Italian Badger" from this manufacturer who creates brushes for several makeup brands. The brushes are soft and white with black tips. I got a HUGE brush that isn't listed, almost the size of the sr208 when unbloomed, but with a long handle, for about $20. Every time I wash it I get tons of lather so I decided to play around with my brush. With a little bit of effort I can get a thick peaky lather from a regular glycerin bath soap, much thicker than foam from a can with a creamy feel to it. The brush feels less prickly than the SR208, probably a bit more floppy, but perfectly serviceable to make lather for shaving legs I think. EDIT: I just compared an actual shave with SR208 and the makeup brush is WAY softer, on reflection it will probably not stand up to regular beard use, and it is probably not stiff enough to really work the lather into your beard. Sorry. :/

So is it just pure badger? I was thinking maybe people would be interested in it as a beginner shaving brush ($8.99 for the IB124) instead of a boar bristle, although it's probably on the floppy side for extended use. Anyways, just an idea. I have no affiliations with the manufacturer but I did make a large order with no problems in the past. And guys who want to win points with their ladies can probably pick them up some nice brushes for cheap. :smile:

Edited to add: I just noticed they actually carry brushes specifically marked as shaving although I don't know anything about them. I just have the badger makeup brushes and like those a lot. The shaving brushes have hair that looks more like the brushes I see here, although I'm still curious about what kind of brushes I have with the white hair and black tips.

Very interesting....
I'll bet those would work great! (and those look to be badger shaving brushes also....so those aren't a bad deal, either....)
Ahh well. Where were these when I was scrubbing away with a Burma-Shave boar brush, wiping 3-5 bristles off my face with each pass of the razor...
John P.

hindmost this is very interesting

the only problem i can think of is the type of glue
used to hold the hair in place.

Have you had the make up brush loose any bristles
while you have been using it as shaving brush?.

the shaving brushes that they have are also something that i find to be interesting.

Thank you Hind

The shaving brushes look like they would make goods starters. They're probably pure badger or some equivalent. The makeup brushes, I'm pretty sure those are dyed - too even.

Well, I have not tried their shaving brush, the badger brushes have not lost hairs but one of the other brushes has lost some, although not enough to be noticeable.

CAVEAT: I tried an SR208 today (before I just felt it and didn't actually use it as it was a gift for the bf) and the feel of it is completely different. The badger makeup brushes are *VERY VERY* soft in comparison, probably too soft to deal with facial hair. Their badger shaving brush may still work for you but the makeup brushes are probably not going to work.

Top Bottom