What's new

What is "Toner"

Ok, I looked in the Wiki and I couldn't find it listed there.

What exactly is toner and what is is supposed to do? :001_smile

thanks!

My understanding (and believe me, this is pure speculation) is that toner is similar to aftershave in that it firms up your skin and helps cool it down after shaving, but it doesn't have any alcohol in it. I have some with tea tree oil and it feels nice, but if alcohol isn't the fundamental difference I really can't help. :wink:

Stephan's Alpine Menthol is labeled as a "skin toner" but it does contain alcohol and lots of menthol. It really is quite a toner though... you could bounce a quarter off your cheek after using that stuff.

I've wondered about this myself, and being that I work in advertising, I suspected it to be a buzz word. We can put lots of things on our skin that feel like it's tightening, but does it actually 'tone' our skin? I mean I use Proraso pre-shave but I don't think it's actually dropping the temperature of my facial skin.

Toner is "positioned" (this means this is the marketing spiel) as something that is good for your skin. It supposedly shrinks the pores, which means less dirt can be trapped in them.

What I wonder is if the substance (which as mentioned here is really a variety of things, which are labeled as "toner") is actually GOOD for your skin.

Skin Food, from Geo Trumper, has rosewater in it. (it's also supposed to be for pre-shave, but can also be used post). There's a neutregena "toner" that has NO alchohol. There are other toners that do have alchohol.

For my skin, the proraso pre-shave PLUS the shave cream = TOO MUCH. It definitely has an effect on the skin, but it also tingles a bit too much (for hours) - as if it has had a negative effect. Yes, the skin is smooth, but...

I would suspect the answer is try a few things and figure out what is best for you and your skin.

A dermatologist (or someone with more knowledge) might be able to give more info. E.g. are all toners good? Is alcohol bad in the long run? Should you just (or also) use a mosturizer?

etc blah etc

I've wondered about this myself, and being that I work in advertising, I suspected it to be a buzz word. We can put lots of things on our skin that feel like it's tightening, but does it actually 'tone' our skin? I mean I use Proraso pre-shave but I don't think it's actually dropping the temperature of my facial skin.

Exactly. Most people are duped into thinking all this chemical crap is suppose to make them look younger or good for their skin. These "toners" just make your skin feel different but in reality they don't tone anything. Just like all those other creams, balms, masks and stuff it doesn't work due to absence of any active ingridients that could actually make any difference, like antibiotics (softening creams for dry skin is an exception). I have 3 toners with different ingridients. All they can do is to freeze your face with menthol, close up your pores with alcohol cutting them from source of oxygen, giving you the very brief, temporary tighter FEELING (due to unnecessary, increased removal of natural oils) and make your face become much more oilier later on. Just think about it - first you wash your face in the shower, then some apply preshave, then shaving soap or cream, then aftershave, then balm, then tonic, then moisturaizer. Do you realize how much abuse your skin takes? It's crazy! Your skin doesn't really need all this bombarding of washing, chemicals and removal of natural oils. Skin can perfectly natuarally balance itself without all this extra help and outside intervention. Just for an expriment try to wash your face with regular hand soap. Your face will have the same tight feeling because hand soap is strong and rough on skin.
In reality your facial skin doesn't really become any more springier than before, it's all a marketing scam to line their pockets. All you get is a cycle of unneeded overuse and abuse of chemical cleansing and then natural process of compensating. Good face wash and hot water is all you really need. If you really want a tighter skin, then plastic surgery is your only answer.

J

Jarmo P

Rightly put nivahsetah. I have always been wondering about why I use Nivea aftershave. Since it does not even have any real scent to it. There is no value in aftershaves, except the scent. All else just in the persons mind.

Rightly put nivahsetah. I have always been wondering about why I use Nivea aftershave. Since it does not even have any real scent to it. There is no value in aftershaves, except the scent. All else just in the persons mind.

Well I started using Aqua Velva recently. Not for the scent, but because it contains menthol and calms irritation. Is it good for my skin? No. It has alcohol in it and after a while my skin becomes very oily. If I find something better and preferably scent free I will stop using AV. I know there are other aftershaves that don't have cooling effect of AV, only scent, those I won't even consider using. For scent I can use either deodorant or cologne.

Exactly. Most people are duped into thinking all this chemical crap is suppose to make them look younger or good for their skin. These "toners" just make your skin feel different but in reality they don't tone anything. Just like all those other creams, balms, masks and stuff it doesn't work due to absence of any active ingridients that could actually make any difference, like antibiotics (softening creams for dry skin is an exception). I have 3 toners with different ingridients. All they can do is to freeze your face with menthol, close up your pores with alcohol cutting them from source of oxygen, giving you the very brief, temporary tighter FEELING (due to unnecessary, increased removal of natural oils) and make your face become much more oilier later on. Just think about it - first you wash your face in the shower, then some apply preshave, then shaving soap or cream, then aftershave, then balm, then tonic, then moisturaizer. Do you realize how much abuse your skin takes? It's crazy! Your skin doesn't really need all this bombarding of washing, chemicals and removal of natural oils. Skin can perfectly natuarally balance itself without all this extra help and outside intervention. Just for an expriment try to wash your face with regular hand soap. Your face will have the same tight feeling because hand soap is strong and rough on skin.
In reality your facial skin doesn't really become any more springier than before, it's all a marketing scam to line their pockets. All you get is a cycle of unneeded overuse and abuse of chemical cleansing and then natural process of compensating. Good face wash and hot water is all you really need. If you really want a tighter skin, then plastic surgery is your only answer.

A big +1!

Nivea ASB does contain ingredients that heal the damage done by shaving. It makes my face feel a lot better.

Nivea ASB does contain ingredients that heal the damage done by shaving. It makes my face feel a lot better.

+1

There is value in using an aftershave that has no scent and that is to not interfere with the $80 scent that I am about to put on. :blush:

R

I agree with Nivahsetah, but since my work is convincing people they have a problem that a product will solve, I'll try to remain aloof. ;)

Have you all seen the new Sure campaign convincing women that they need to care for their underarm skin because of the abuse of shaving? It's designed to make women self conscious about their armpits. Conveniently, Sure will provide a solution! Honestly, how many times have you checked out a woman's armpit?

Toners are lotions or creams designed to calm, moisturize or tighten skin that has been irritated by some some cosmetic or hygenic treatment: washing your face, shaving, etc. Obviously different ingredients produce different results. An alcohol based aftershave and a moisturizing cream are both toners, but work totally differently. You choose a product that matches your skin type and needs, nothing is perfect for everyone.

Top Bottom