What's new

What is the difference between an EDP and EDT?

Hello, Gents, since the Lord Jesus Christ restored my sense of smell after suffering from Covid side effects, I am super interested in fine fragrance. I can finally say that my smell is keener compared to months ago. I suffered from chronic sinusitis after contracting Covid in November and couldn’t even sleep in a bed with my head flat due to this. Covid changed my life. I prayed hard and gave glory and trust to Christ and one day it all fell in place. I was healed and currently suffer no signs of sinusitis.

I currently use Dior’s Sauvage EDT and love it. It actually lasts 24 hours on me.

I see that Dior Sauvage has an EDP as well. What is the difference? Scent strength? Longevity? I appreciate any advice. Down the ole rabbit hole I go. Every smell I take I truly think of Jesus. His healing is almighty.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I believe an EDT concentration is lower, between 8% and 12%, while an EDP concentration is between 12% and 18%. The concentrations of EDT versus EDP may vary between products but as far as I know an EDP will always be more concentrated than an EDT.

Last edited:
I believe an EDT concentration is lower, between 8% and 12%, while an EDP concentration is between 12% and 18%. The concentrations of EDT versus EDP may vary between products but as far as I know an EDP will always be more concentrated than an EDT.

That means more scent strength?

That means more scent strength?
Longer lasting. The scent won’t necessarily be stronger, but will stay closer for longer. EDT may seem stronger because the higher amount of alcohol, it spreads it outward in a bloom. EDT is great for young people as they like to spread their scent, mark their turf etc., whereas adults may prefer an EDP that has less alcohol and stays longer and closer to the skin.

I'm glad to hear your sense of smell has come back! As others have said, an EDP just has a higher concentration of fragrance oils compared to an EDT. It gets a little confusing because some houses like Dior will come out with a fragrance like Sauvage EDT, and then they will release a flanker a year or two later called Sauvage EDP or parfum. The new EDP or parfum version doesn't just have a higher concentration of fragrance oils, but it will actually smell a little different because it has some different notes compared to the EDT. In general, though, we are just talking about proportions of oils to alcohol.

I'm glad to hear your sense of smell has come back! As others have said, an EDP just has a higher concentration of fragrance oils compared to an EDT. It gets a little confusing because some houses like Dior will come out with a fragrance like Sauvage EDT, and then they will release a flanker a year or two later called Sauvage EDP or parfum. The new EDP or parfum version doesn't just have a higher concentration of fragrance oils, but it will actually smell a little different because it has some different notes compared to the EDT. In general, though, we are just talking about proportions of oils to alcohol.

Thank you sir! Glad to hear. I am wearing Versace now and it is still projecting 6 hours later.

Usually it's the strength but I've noticed recently that EDP's ate being released which tweak the original EDT scent.

Boss Bottled springs to mind

Exactly.... Also some Fragrances like Bleu De Chanel, I believe there is an argument that the EDT performs better than the EDP..

Actually, I would say that for a very long time, more often than not, the EDT and EDP/parfum versions smell a bit different and often a lot different. Do not buy an EDP version of scent blind thinking you are getting simply a stronger version of the EDT. I have learned this the hard way. Indeed, off the top of my head, I cannot think of a scent that is exactly the same in EDT and EDP versions.

Hello, Gents, since the Lord Jesus Christ restored my sense of smell after suffering from Covid side effects, I am super interested in fine fragrance. I can finally say that my smell is keener compared to months ago. I suffered from chronic sinusitis after contracting Covid in November and couldn’t even sleep in a bed with my head flat due to this. Covid changed my life. I prayed hard and gave glory and trust to Christ and one day it all fell in place. I was healed and currently suffer no signs of sinusitis.

I currently use Dior’s Sauvage EDT and love it. It actually lasts 24 hours on me.

I see that Dior Sauvage has an EDP as well. What is the difference? Scent strength? Longevity? I appreciate any advice. Down the ole rabbit hole I go. Every smell I take I truly think of Jesus. His healing is almighty.
Praised be Jesus Christ for your healing. I’m glad you asked about the difference. I don’t wear any sort of cologne, but I have wondered what the differences were.

Matter of concentration.

I do not recall where I found this, but I saved it as it explains the relationship between various fragrance concentration nicely.

1628938942345.jpeg

B.

Top Bottom