What's new

What is going on at Merkur?

I have been looking for a new 38C. Lees says Merkur is having casting issues. I noticed this morning that more and more shops seem to be out of stock of quite a few of the Merkur razors, not just the new products. I'm not in a particular hurry to get my 38C, but it seems that this problem has gone on too long. Anyone have any definative info?

i emailed merkur on this very issue and got this response....

No, there is no fabrication problems with the 38C, however, we had a new mold made for the razor tops, as the old one was worn out. The first production lot out of the molds were exceeding all our expectations. Recently, one of our suppliers, however, used a wrong mold to cast our tops, and since the part obviously looked at least somewhat similar, we only found out when they came to us from chrome-plating, that it was the wrong type. So they had to start from scratch, resulting in the current shortage of all the razors that have the same top, namely the most popular models Nos. 34C, 38C, and Progress.

Right now we are getting the tops in again, however, it takes a while to work through the back order load that has accumulated, not only from the US, but from all countries the world over. The first ones have been shipped already, so you should soon see them back in the online stores again, though it might take a few more days for them to pass through customs and actually have the online stores work through their back order loads as well.

So, will these new tops look any different, or will they be exactly the same as the old ones? Maybe someone getting one of the new batches should chip in here, I am slightly intrigued about whether the new ones are any different.

V

VR6ofpain

I wish they had redesigned the entire head. It would make for some variety.

I have been looking for a new 38C. Lees says Merkur is having casting issues. I noticed this morning that more and more shops seem to be out of stock of quite a few of the Merkur razors, not just the new products. I'm not in a particular hurry to get my 38C, but it seems that this problem has gone on too long. Anyone have any definative info?

I just got a 38C from bestgroomingtools.com for around $44 shipped. The shipping was pretty quick.

The mold wore out? What are they using? Foam rubber?
Casting molds do eventually wear down to the point where they're no longer usable. Constant heating and cooling of metal will result in expansion and contraction which causes stress on the metal. This weakens it and stress fractures often form. As far as wondering if the tops will be different I would guess they'll be the same.

As a retailer, I can tell you that it is great to know that next week we will recieve our first shipment of HDs in about two months. I don't think the 38C will be far behind.

As they said in the letter, you should be seeing them pop-up among the online stores presently, if not very soon.

It is very good news for all of us!

Top Bottom