What's new

What Brushes have you sacficed just for the knot?

Am in the process of restoring a Mohawk 3-338 made in Canada. Having recently started using boar brushes, I ordered an Omega 80097 to use for the knot. Once it arrived, had to check it out to see how I liked it before chopping it up. No way could I chop it up, liked it to much for that, so I had to find another brush. After much reading, studying and pricing, I found what I hope to be the perfect brush to use for my restore. It is an Omega 10029, a 24 mm knot with a 55 mm loft. Folks talk about this brush as a baby pro, and I hope it is. I have a 10049 or pro 49 that lathers and feels great to my face, but is just a tad to large for my taste.

Since a selection of boar knots seems to be very elusive, am sure that many of you have ordered and destroyed many other brushes just for the knot.
So please tell us what you chose to use.

I sacrificed an ivory Plisson for an Ever-Ready restore... but I ruined the knot when I used too much epoxy & it squished out.

You can buy Omega boar knots at The Golden Nib.

I would never bust up a perfectly good brush just to get a cheap knot.

A man has to do what a man has to do. I looked at the boar knots at TGN, but it was selection that I was looking for. Maybe TGN or some of the other vendors can come up with a variety of quality boar knots. Personally, I like the all white boar knots rather than the boar with the imitation badger look. Probably the only reason I'll be able to trash the 10029 is because I don't care for the chrome handle.

You can buy Omega boar knots at The Golden Nib.

I would never bust up a perfectly good brush just to get a cheap knot.

TGN has a total of three different Omega knots, only one blond, and it's HUGE. Nobody seems to carry a knot from Semogue. If you want a particular boar that TGN doesn't have, you pretty much have to bust up a "perfectly good" brush to make a perfectly better one. And, they (Omega/ Semogue) are so reasonably priced, that it is very affordable.

I recently cut the knot out of a brand new Omega 11137 that I picked up on the BST in a trade. It is a great un-banded knot that was in a crappy and ugly (IMHO, of course) wooden handle. Now it sits in a nice vintage Peerless handle. I love it. I can't wait to find another handle that floats my boat, so that I can drop a knot removed from a Semogue 1470 into it!

Top Bottom