What's new

Weber is Jumping into the Pellet Smoker Arena

The pellet smoker concept got my attention. Looked around some and Traeger just kept getting too many lackluster reviews. Camp Chef seemed to be alright in the mix...but....reminded me too much of the Walmart quality stuff.
So...seems Weber is setting up their pellet smoker line for release very shortly. Yep, typical Weber pricing but what price glory, huh??
Can't wait for this one🤞

Nice looking and well constructed - but wow: the cost. I will be interested in seeing the real reviews. Supposedly it can sear at 600 degrees.

Look at Lone Star Grills. They make very good stuff. I have the Weber Summit Charcoal, it works great but for the retail price they need better legs , wheels, etc. I didn't pay retail though lol. Still expensive,but I can run 30 hours at 250 on one load of lump. I also have the Fire Board sensors, works great. There are a few other pellet grills I think are pretty good, just tired of Weber prices for sub par stuff. The kettles I love still though.

The pellet smoker concept got my attention. Looked around some and Traeger just kept getting too many lackluster reviews. Camp Chef seemed to be alright in the mix...but....reminded me too much of the Walmart quality stuff.
So...seems Weber is setting up their pellet smoker line for release very shortly. Yep, typical Weber pricing but what price glory, huh??
Can't wait for this one🤞
my camp chef weighs about 200-300 lbs, pretty well constructed to me. so far I like it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
my camp chef weighs about 200-300 lbs, pretty well constructed to me. so far I like it.

I was about to say the same thing. My Camp Chef never has given me any sort of "Wal-Mart" impression. It's solid.

How does it do on grilling steaks and chops? Some of the pellet grills seem to concentrate the flame to just one place.

Personally, I have no interest in using a pellet cooker as a grill. I want to grill over coals, not burning/smoldering pellets. If this Weber can do what it says it can do, I suppose it might have some use as a grill, but 600F doesn't impress me. That's a far cry from the 800-1000F you get from briquettes and even further from the 1200-1400 you can get from lump.

I shudder to think how quickly one would burn through pellets when running that thing at 600F. Then again, you probably wouldn't run it for too long at that sort of temperature.

I suppose that this Weber could be a great option if you need an all-in-one option due to space. Otherwise, you can spend less money on a less expensive but still excellent pellet cooker and an excellent Weber Kettle grill that would do a far better job of grilling.

How does it do on grilling steaks and chops? Some of the pellet grills seem to concentrate the flame to just one place.
It has a baffle you can move over to get open flame below the SS drip plate, it can be done. but if you take a thick steak and smoke it for 30 mins and flip it for another, depending how you like it done, its pretty tender.
I do burgers on the grill, ribs, roasts, meatloaf, chicken wings on the smoker, I only cook for 2 , but will do multiple racks of ribs and chicken wings and freeze the leftovers.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I have owned quite a few Weber products over the years and still have a few. They were once a great value due to their commitment to quality but that seems to be slipping these days. I've never had the urge for a pellet smoker and won't be a buyer for one of these just because it's a Weber. Hope that it satisfies those early adopters.

Well. Have to see when they hit the shelves. My Weber Genesis (gas) has done a great job for many years.
High temperature sears and slow and low smoking...for that we fire up the Kamado Joe. Although minimal, smoking on a Kamado does require some attention. I don't know. New technology can be fun.

If Weber comes out with it, you know its going to be good. Me personally, I feel like a pellet smoker kind of takes all the sport out of it.
For me, I either want the full experience of charcoal or the convenience of gas.

What's the advantage of pellets over lump charcoal?
Not much if you have a kamado style smoker. Otherwise temp control would be the main benefit. Plus traeger is being sued for using wood and adding flavor. Fwiw my kamado Weber Summit Charcoal retails at 1500, I can smoke indirect for over a day and I have had it around 700 for steaks.

Top Bottom