What's new

Vintage? Illinois horse hide #127

Hi all,

Just scored what appears to be a vintage Illinois "Genuine Horse Hide" strop in pretty nice shape.

The difference in the horsehead stamp between the one I just got, and the ones you see at sites such as Classic's would seem to show that this is from a different vintage? Clue #2 is that around the horse's head it also says "Genuine Horse Hide". Also on the handle, the new ones simply say "Chicago", whereas this one also includes the line "made in the USA".

The cloth portion is "Fine Weave Linen Finish", feels quite stiff. I gave it a fresh coat of Dovo white, and oiled up the leather.

Anybody know roundabout when a strop such as this may be from?

Vintage Illinois strops are outstanding. I don't have a vintage Illinois-branded strop but they made my DD #50 and NOS Craftsman strop back in the day.

Vintage Illinois strops are outstanding. I don't have a vintage Illinois-branded strop but they made my DD #50 and NOS Craftsman strop back in the day.

I used it this morning, and it seemed to work just fine. It had a bit more "feel" than the super-slick horsehide I had on my Kintaka strop.

I really like my #127. It's gets used daily. I can't remember if it has the same markings as yours but I think it does. The linen on mine is a very pale green and has a smooth waxy feel. Nothing like the linen on the newer #827. Seems to work well.

The Illinois Strop Company's office/factory was originally not to far from me. I stopped by a while back but it's just an empty industrial building now. I wonder where the new ones are produced?

I really like my #127. It's gets used daily. I can't remember if it has the same markings as yours but I think it does. The linen on mine is a very pale green and has a smooth waxy feel. Nothing like the linen on the newer #827. Seems to work well.

That's definitely a nice vintage of the Illinois strops. You don't see the green linen ones very often but that stuff is very nice.

I think perhaps mine is green as well, but it also seems to have been given the white paste treatment by the previous owner as well.

I had thought the green was due to metal from the razors being left on the strop or something.

:001_smile

The Illinois Strop Company's office/factory was originally not to far from me. I stopped by a while back but it's just an empty industrial building now. I wonder where the new ones are produced?

Apparently Fromm owns the company name now.

I think perhaps mine is green as well, but it also seems to have been given the white paste treatment by the previous owner as well.

I had thought the green was due to metal from the razors being left on the strop or something.

No straight razor steel mostly oxidizes black or gray. Usually green is a sign of chrome oxide but on those old Illinois strops that's just the color they were.

Top Bottom