What's new

Vdieo Streamers - Chromecast Nearly Useless -Options?

Good morning gents. This topic comes up from time to time but it is germane to those of us who have cut the cable(stranglehold?) with paid video services such as cable vision or satellite telly. I am close on four years into this and I can tell you I do not miss the bills one bit. And you realise you really didn't watch as much varying programming as you may have previously thought. I currently use Neftlix and a back end media server called PlayonTv. Both have some serious advantages and a few hiccups. Most of my video is sent to a front end consisting of a PS3 which has its own quirky issues. The quest for a better mouse trap, or video front end or set top box if you prefer, is a never ending quest. The latest attempt was with a Chromecast.

This was a decided failure. Before anyone scolds me let me say I did not expect it to be a be all, end all device. I was hoping at $35 it would provide me with something sorely lacking in the PS3; A decent web browser interface for the telly. Chalk it up to this; It isn't ready for prime time. First up, no matter how I tried, I cold not get my Kindle Fire to sync with it. I downloaded a special market place that had a Chromecast app specifically for the Kindle/Chromecast combination. No go. I also found out it will not work with Windows XP at all. This latter development is the most puzzling of all. For most of its work the Chromecast has NOTHING to do with the OS in any of your devices. It connects to the web direct. You only use your devices to control it. Well, save for one feature. Casting a tab to your telly. Forget it with XP. It won't happen. And you cannot get it set up with a browser on XP as well. Kind of a pain really. And further research shows that even Google admits casting a tab from your browser is tricky. So back to Best Buy it went. No harm, no foul. But back to square one.

So I think it will come to this. A dedicated set top box. I am thinking something that would use a mother board only with a small hdd to hold whatever minimal OS it needs to boot. XBMC comes to mind. It plays nearly anything you throw at it including ISOs of discs. A OS consisting of one of the XBMC desktops on a minimal install such as OpenELEC(Open Embedded Linux Entertainment Center) may be a choice. A very small Linux distro designed to do one thing. Launch XBMC and play your media or use one of their addons to grab stuff like Hulu. I am speaking of the set top box front end only here. Because of PlayonTV's Windows only environment, the server pc will need to be windows. That's another matter. The set top box would need much less horsepower to simply "catch" streamed video. Mini or Micro ATX motherboard? On board everything to keep size small? Maybe even an external power supply to keep the case more appliance like. Not sure. I am just tired of the PS3 and its nearly useless browser. You cannot even play flash videos on it because the player is never updated. Any suggestions for mobo/cpu/ram configurations would be great. Think size> heat generation> cooling via heat sink only(preferable) > and yea/nay on discrete graphics. Thanks much. I realise this subject comes up quite a bit but the game changes constantly.

Cheers, Todd

Todd, you've been dealing with finding the perfect set up for some time now. Have you looked in using Plex? It is a fork of XBMC, or XBMC is a fork of Plex, I forget which. I have the Plex server running on my Mac, but there is also a windows version available but I'm not sure if it runs in xp. I keep all my files on a Nas and stream through my network wired with Cat6. Plex plays any file I throw at it.

Did you ever look into the Google TV box I recommended some time back? It will do everything you're looking to do with a clean and simple interface. Also check out the new Roku 3 box. It will stream pretty much all of the subscription services like Netflix and Hulu. And there is a plex app that can play your local files.

If I were setting up a new system to do what you want to do I'd buy a Mac Mini, hook it up to my flatscreen via hdmi and just run Plex. Or, build a mini or micro ATX Windows machine hook it directly to the TV and run plexs or xbmc. Both plex and xbmc both the CPU and GPU for decoding, but you don't need anything crazy powerful. See below.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Supported_hardware

Chris, indeed I did look at the Google Tv box. Great product save for one major issue. The browser is partially crippled. In a nod to content providers Google has made some sites not exactly friendly to streamers. At least this is what I have been reading at some sites. Not one hundred percent sure that is accurate information. Otherwise, neat piece of machinery. I am also leaning toward the idea of small pc/set top box for direct connection. Plex is a great option and I think it is forked off XBMC. Sooner or later I will get it sorted.

Cheers, Todd

Number 1, trying to get by with XP is only going to get harder and harder as the years go on.

Number 2, getting a good computer and just hard wiring it to the TV set with an HDMI can open up all sorts of ease. I watch every kind of content there is on my TV, controlled directly from a computer that is not far off.

If I were setting up a new system to do what you want to do I'd buy a Mac Mini, hook it up to my flatscreen via hdmi and just run Plex. Or, build a mini or micro ATX Windows machine hook it directly to the TV and run plexs or xbmc. Both plex and xbmc both the CPU and GPU for decoding, but you don't need anything crazy powerful. See below.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Supported_hardware

You don't need plex or kbmc with a current model TV. It directly functions as a monitor for every kind of content there is -- play it in browser, and pop to full screen.

You don't need plex or kbmc with a current model TV. It directly functions as a monitor for every kind of content there is -- play it in browser, and pop to full screen.

What TV models are you referring to, or are you referring to Chromecast? I know there were some LG and Samsung sets that support the Plex app. I actually hook up my Mac, when running Plex, through my AV receiver via HDMI for true AC3 and DTS surround sound when watching movies.

Side note, my sister has a LG blu-ray player that I can hook a hard drive to and play MKV files directly. The only problem is that the interface is pretty bad and slow but it had no problems last time I hooked up an NTFS formatted drive. 1080p playback was smooth and looked great but the sound was downmixed to 2 channel since the set didn't support 5.1.

What TV models are you referring to, or are you referring to Chromecast? I know there were some LG and Samsung sets that support the Plex app. I actually hook up my Mac, when running Plex, through my AV receiver via HDMI for true AC3 and DTS surround sound when watching movies.

Side note, my sister has a LG blu-ray player that I can hook a hard drive to and play MKV files directly. The only problem is that the interface is pretty bad and slow but it had no problems last time I hooked up an NTFS formatted drive. 1080p playback was smooth and looked great but the sound was downmixed to 2 channel since the set didn't support 5.1.

Sharp, Panasonic, and Sony. Just run the HDMI from the computer to an HDMI input on the television. No app needed, the television functions directly as a monitor.

Sharp, Panasonic, and Sony. Just run the HDMI from the computer to an HDMI input on the television. No app needed, the television functions directly as a monitor.

Yes that does work and you are correct that you don't "need" plex or xbmc for that but you'd still need some kind of player like VLC or Media Player Classic in order to play any file type. And yes you can use the built in applications, ie Windows Media Player or Quicktime, but they don't support every file type without plugs.

Also, those applications don't organize, tag, and automatically download artwork like plex and xbmc do and they don't have a nice ten foot interface that can easily be navigated from the couch.

For me sitting on the couch with a mouse and keyboard is kind of a pain. I prefer to use a remote.

Yes that does work and you are correct that you don't "need" plex or xbmc for that but you'd still need some kind of player like VLC or Media Player Classic in order to play any file type. And yes you can use the built in applications, ie Windows Media Player or Quicktime, but they don't support every file type without plugs.

Also, those applications don't organize, tag, and automatically download artwork like plex and xbmc do and they don't have a nice ten foot interface that can easily be navigated from the couch.

For me sitting on the couch with a mouse and keyboard is kind of a pain. I prefer to use a remote.

Understood. The OP was about "streaming." I believed he meant online content, such as the Netflix example he gave. And he also mentioned trying to get his Kindle content to stream. So for all of that, it directly streams from the browser/cloud to the screen.

It's just a robust solution for him because he seems to be having frustration looking for the perfect set-top solution. I do a bit of "all of the above." PS3 streaming, Tivo, Smart TV that is networked directly to computer, and Dumb TV that is hooked with HDMI to a computer. I have a small wireless remote with a keyboard on it that can work the computer when I want.

I like to use the big screen/montor for Youtube browing, everything. And doing it with my main computer keyboard is fast and easy.

Gents, agreed that XP is not ideal for a back end media server. In fact the old Dell stutters quite a bit with the Playon programme. I will eventually get it sorted with a Core I7 brute that will have enough horsepower to handle that duty plus a/v editing when necessary. And yes, I am leaning toward a small pc connected to the telly direct. I really don't want to populate it with Windows or Ios if for no other reason than you are bound to them $$$ wise. I also agree that my usage is more closely aligned with Internet content. Truth told a retail set top box with baked in firmware(stability) would have been my preference. On paper the newer models of Googletv looked about perfect. Then I started reading some of the issues with the browser. I am still not absolutely sure about it. I looked at the Intel NUC and Mac Mini but they carry a hefty premium for use as a set top box. Tine will tell.

Cheers, Todd

Chris, I know it has been suggested to use a Mac mini or similar but these days you can buy a cheap laptop from Bestbuy ~$300 that runs windows 8. It will have an older AMD processor but should be stout enough for streaming web video. At least I think so. Maybe an off the shelf solution.

Cheers, Todd

That sounds like a viable option. The Mac Mini is pricey for what you get. A cheap laptop will work just as well. Many have HDMI ports that will connect right to your TV or AV receiver. Any current gen AMD APU should run just about anything you need.

If you primarily want Netflix or Hulu then a Roku device might suffice. There are other channels offered as well. A PC is better if you want DVR capabilities.

If you have an android powered smartphone I suspect you would have had better luck with Chromecast. My biggest complaint about the Chromecast is that I occasionally need to reset it after streaming a few different things. My second biggest complaint is the limited content, more sources are slowly being added but I mainly use it for youtube content. Works pretty well with the Android youtube app, but more jittery with chrome browser.

Stillshaving, I hear you about Chromecast. The Fire is Android but its own flavour. I added certain marketplaces to it which included a Chromecast app. It just couldn't make the connection. It saw it but could not access it. I feel this is as much Google's issue as anyone's. They also made the XP version of Chrome browser incomppatible. I get the latter. Microsoft will end all support of XP in early 2014 and I am sure Google doesn't want a bunch of people hounding them for support issues with a dead OS. It is also why I am leaning toward a motherboard based solution so I can modify and tweak it the way I like. This gives mexthe option of running Linux, Win8, OpenELEC, XMBCbuntu, or maybe even an Android distro though I don't know if it is compatible with X86 architecture.

Cheers, Todd

Top Bottom