What's new

Using witch hazel and after shave balm

All I do is cold water splash, WH splash (no cotton necessary, YMMV), and my cologne for the day. I went skiing the other day, and got some pretty bad wind chapped checks (I forgot my scarf/balaclava), so I used some AoS Sandalwood Balm and that helped to heal my dried skin.

Right now I apply pre de provence aftershave balm after each shave and it smells great but I'm not sure how much it is helping my skin. I was thinking about using some witch hazel after shaving and then applying the pre de provence aftershave balm. What happens if I mix these two? Could this be counter-productive? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Yeap that's the way I do it. Witch hazel first, then do your clean up to let it dry up. Then after shave balm. Most times I let the balm soak in then apply again to help me with the burn.

Apply WH, let it dry, then a AS ( Clubman or what ever), and finally a good balm such as NIVEA. Make sure to apply the after shave splash
before the balm, as it probably has alcohol in it, (can dry skin), then the balm which is a moisturizer . Works great for me!

Dickinson's to me smells faintly of old horse blanket, so I long ago switched to Thayers, even though the aloe version leaves a slightly tacky feel. A must immediately after shaving.

These days after rinse and alum, I get a generous amount of Dickinson's Witch Hazel and apply as I would aftershave. That tones up everything as it dries. The smell is a bit ordinary but I have aftershave to go on after that, so all good for me.

Same here. Then one day I realized witch hazel was sufficient and I stopped using balm.

The witch hazel alone is usually enough for me as well. When I do apply a balm, or a moisturizer of some sort, it is usually later on in the day/evening.

Then again, I often apply a few dabs of Bump Patrol aftershave after the witch hazel has dried up - so adding in a balm straight after that would be three products in a row, and likely, too much of a good thing.

Pretty much what I do. I splash my face with WH and gently rub it in a little. At this point my face is slightly wet from the WH, and I continue my routine of cleaning up the sink area and putting stuff where it belongs. Then, I'll lightly pat my face with a towel to eliminate any left over residual WH (which hasn't already been absorbed by the skin). Then I gently rub in a small dollop of Nivea sensitive skin ASB (which I like because it works well and has virtually no smell)
I finish off with a few sprays of my choice of Edt or cologne for the day and I'm good to go. :thumbup:

Are you me? Am I you? :laugh:

Top Bottom