What's new

Tony Miller Strop Back Side Use

Did some sharpening tonight and hit my Tony Miller No. 2 Horsehide, which I’ve taken to calling my Tonyama strop.

Some here have mentioned liking his Rough Out model. Looking at the back of the Tonyama, the finish is rough, but smooth. So gave the razor some passes on the backside first, then finished on the front. The front side is very fast and slick with minimal draw. So the rougher draw on the back nicely compliments the front.

So, those with this model, or other similar strops with a good quality finish on the backside, give it a try.

The edge turned out quite sharp.

3D7FC805-09BA-42D6-88BB-924BE3CB67C9.jpeg

99768A79-5620-41D7-B75F-A4EF4AA6BC91.jpeg

The problem is, TM responded to this before, that the strop is slightly concave on the side you are meant to strop on. I don't remember all the rest, but it was a very recent thread. If you are getting full edge contact then I guess do what you want...

Seems pretty darn flat on both sides, but I leave it flat on a counter and put my big Arks parked on the leather now and then, not the linen, to keep it very flat.

Last edited:
Tony makes his strops with a slight crown and doesn't recommend using the back side, but I think it's a question of how pliable the strop is. I got a plain roughout horse from him and I've stropped on the back several times. The crown is a little more noticeable on one end where the leather is a touch thicker than the other. So I use the other 2/3 or so of the length.

When Straight Razor Designs went out of business, I purchased one of their kangaroo strops as I read that the thin pliable leather was good for stropping. Unfortunately, the strop has a serious concave bow on the face side. I have tried to reduce the bow, with only limited success. I have not tried using the backside of the leather, but that might be a good idea.

I have a few of Tony's Heirloom strops and love them, so the SRD kangaroo strop does not get much use on either side.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Hmmm, not sure I like the title guys.....Tony Miller Backside Use :eek2::eek2::eek2:

But, seriously most of my stiffer leathers have a slightly convex (high center) rather than perfectly flat which often tends to go convex (low center) quickly and become unusable. The higher center seems less a problem as it either flattens under the weight of a razor, can be coaxed rather flat or the somewhat non-uniformity and wobble to our stropping strokes seems to fit with a high center.

If the back is flat there is not reason it cannot be used and my Roughout Horsehide is exactly that, the backside/flesh side of the hide if I feel it feels fairly uniform. Most of these horse buts have been skived to a set thickness and have a fairly uniform back texture unlike some other types of hides left natural. Occasionally I use the rough/flesh side of steerhide too if I get just the right piece and being softer it has quite a bit more draw than the horse which is a bit firm.

Now, about that title :rolleyes:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Good natured humor is always welcome as far as I am concerned.

Grown men talking about stroking razors on horse butts certainly is a good set up for some humor. 😊

Speaking of horse butts. I always have asked my supplier for clean hides, meaning few flaws. One day UPS comes with a big box from the tannery and on the side, in bold black marker it says "Clean Horse Butts". The driver kind of looked at that and held back a smile

Top Bottom