What's new

The Mother Of All Hones, Norton Razor Hone Salesman Sample

timwcic

"Look what I found"
This came to me from one of my local pickers last weekend. He got into a estate of a barber and offered me a few things in a lot including this. This is the Mother of all Barber Hones. This is the Uber Rare and Gargantuan Sized Norton razor Hone. This is the salesman sample used by the reps to give honing demonstrations to sell the smaller, standard sized Norton Razor Hone. It measures a massive 12 x 4 inches. I have only seen a few pictures of this hone over the years and never thought I would acquire one. Not many left in existence. My jaw dropped when I saw it. It is a touch dirty but in great condition. It does have a few chips and divots around the perimeter, but working surfaces are near perfect. No funky sick hone syndrome

AA052C97-6191-43D8-A507-7038D09D3C16.jpeg
09229AD8-821C-4E93-B0B0-BB51CA0CC562.jpeg
C4D0513F-B04C-42D4-813A-6DFDCF915E91.jpeg
58F9BDC3-4B23-41BB-B0B7-EE07842D8592.jpeg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I mean.....there’s NO end to your luck! If anyone ever finds a Cutlers Green it will no doubt be Tim. :a14:

Very nice score. Have you tried it out yet?

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I mean.....there’s NO end to your luck! If anyone ever finds a Cutlers Green it will no doubt be Tim. :a14:

You know what Dcaddo I have had the same thought! With a nice intact label! Lol, Tim you da man! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys for the nice comments. I can not believe I was on the receiving end of the Hone. The CG is on my radar. I am watering and fertilizer a lead but has not produced any fruit——yet

timwcic

"Look what I found"

It is going to have to sit until mid October. Getting ready to leave on a working vacation until then and do not want to rush cleaning it up. I will say the black side is begging to hone something and feels to have great potential.

Any idea what the rubber that came in the cased version was?

There was someone selling one of these slabs on Ebay a few years ago. But it was not the same type of hone as what the Aussies fork over big coin for. He started out asking $$, upwards of 2k I think. The last price on it that I remember, it was BIN in the low hundreds. I honestly don't remember if it even sold. His was dead-mint in a fitted wood box. Pretty sure his had the Oval Impreseed Norton Logo also.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I remember that. The guys father or grandfather worked for Norton back in the day. I remember it differently (which means nothing really) but what I remember is the stone did not have the norton logo and came in a wood box with a slot for a rubbing stone? He started off at 2 grand and then sold for an undisclosed amount. One of the stone flippers (Nibert?) bought it and cut it up and sold small pieces that I believe sold for 200-300 each. Don’t hold me to that, but that’s what’s in my head. Ian do you remember that? @SliceOfLife

Sold around $1200 at bid. Was the third I saw. First two went for like $120 and $300. People still didn’t trust it was a Norton Razor Hone. The $300 one even had documentation and everything.

No logo, but yeah I’ve seen them boxed with paper inserts.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thanks all for every bit of info. This was a true rescue. It was in a box with other stones and wood working tools. I was a couple of bad bumps from breaking. Not in it for a quick flip or cutting up. Look forward to seeing what it will do when I return from my latest trip

I've never been impressed with Norton hones, but some people are. Me personally, I'd flip it on eBay for the quick $1000+ profit. But maybe you'll like them better than I did.