What's new

The First Brush I Made After the Last Brush I'll Ever Make

So I was rummaging around the Scary Basement and found a couple scraps of cocobolo and a piece of black buffalo horn. Anybody with half a brain would've thrown them out. Instead, I glued them up into a turning block and made a brush:

proxy.php

proxy.php

The angle of the photos makes the piece look lopsided, which it's not. The finish is three coats of CA, polished with carnauba wax. The knot is my last remaining Whipped Dog 24mm silvertip, set at about 47-48mm.

Would've been a bit nicer if I'd had one block that I could've cut in half and matched the grain on either side of the buffalo horn a little better, but all in all this one didn't come out too badly.

Looks great. I love using CA glue as a finish.

CA is new to me ... back when I was doing a lot of small turnings, people were mostly using friction polishes and stuff like that. I'm still learning my way around CA; had a couple small spots on this piece that could've been better, but that's my fault, not the glue's.

I've been using a thin CA, but I notice that a lot of the pen turners prefer the thick stuff. Which do you use?

Top Bottom