What's new

Tallow + Steel Indian Bay

Another take on bay rum by T+S! Their earlier "homage," for me, is their Maya, which has the whole cola-nut, cocoa/mole' spice thing going on, and is a very nice take on a traditional BR as well, but very different from the Caribbean variety. Indian Bay is along the lines of a traditional BR - very prominent citrus notes of lime and orange, with a strong bay background and a hint of allspice (but zero cloves, if you're a fan). If you're a clove-hater but enjoy a sweet bay rum, right up your alley. Their AS, typical T+S witch hazel and aloe-based, with a smidge of alcohol, is very nice as well - soothing and protective - and in the bay rum tradition will warm you up, but not too dramatically. Excellent performance, as always with T+S, a slick and protective lather which in this case seems thirstier than most - add a little more water when you think you have enough. An attractive label as well, apparently depicting the British Merchantman Samuel Walters, although difficult to tell, and the S. Walters was not actually on the Dutch East India Trading Company's clipper registry.

So another great soap and AS from T+S, but unfortunately another Limited Edition, which likely means it won't be permanent. It also only comes in the 3 oz "teaser" size, but is accordingly slightly less expensive than their standard 4 oz line (which they seem to continually be sold out of, also unfortunately). If you're any kind of bay rum fan (cloveless), you can't do much better. Not the cheapest products, but certainly not the most expensive, and well worth every penny IMO.

20200915_115330.jpg

I have ordered this tallow and steel soap and am waiting for its arrival.

I want to take this opportunity to give praise where ts due to Ryan of tallow and steel. He sent out the soap but the package seemed to go missing and when I told him it had not been received, he immediately sent out a replacement soap.

Yesterday his first package arrived unexpectedly and so I told him that since he had sent out a replacement soap I wanted to pay for that soap but Ryan refused to accept it and insisted that it was only right for him to send out the replacement as it had not arrived within a reasonable time.

Now this is customer service! How I wish some others in the industry had the same ethics and reply so quickly to customers. I am quite confident that the product once I receive t will prove to be a winner because if this Is how responsive the maker is in respect of shipping issues, how more so will he be excellent in making the soap?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great review thanks. I seemed to forget about this one. I have a set in the cart but im not so into Bay rum. Maybe its the cloves? So im wondering if id like this.

Great review thanks. I seemed to forget about this one. I have a set in the cart but im not so into Bay rum. Maybe its the cloves? So im wondering if id like this.

Depends on what you don't like in a Bay Rum - this one has bay oil in it, but no cloves, and is really more of a citrus note with bay in the background (hard to describe but sort of a fougere, "green" fragrance), along with allspice. This one really doesn't smell like Thanksgiving dinner - more of a tropical, "citrusy" bay, and actually very light and pleasant. Performance is outstanding, as is my experience with all of T+S's products. The only downsides are, as noted, it's a Special Edition so not sure how available it will be in the future (I hate finding a really nice soap and then having it discontinued), and the smaller size.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Depends on what you don't like in a Bay Rum - this one has bay oil in it, but no cloves, and is really more of a citrus note with bay in the background (hard to describe but sort of a fougere, "green" fragrance), along with allspice. This one really doesn't smell like Thanksgiving dinner - more of a tropical, "citrusy" bay, and actually very light and pleasant. Performance is outstanding, as is my experience with all of T+S's products. The only downsides are, as noted, it's a Special Edition so not sure how available it will be in the future (I hate finding a really nice soap and then having it discontinued), and the smaller size.
Very interesting
Would you classify it as a summer scent? With the citrus aspect.

Very interesting
Would you classify it as a summer scent? With the citrus aspect.

It's interesting, because, to me, it has a foot in both worlds. Some would argue that there are really no "seasonal" fragrances - just fragrances. Others would point out that there are scents associated with the changing of the year - bright, citrusy fruit, flowers and greenery in the Spring and Summer, smoke, spice, amber and earth in the Fall and Winter. Different associations with different folks, but I suppose I'm more in the camp of "seasonal," and there are clearly fragrances that many of us associate with our experiences related to seasons - the smell of lavender or green moss in the Spring, or cloves, fir or cedar and spice at Christmas or year-end. This soap has a clear citrus component - you could say tropical. So not bad for a Summer memory. On the other hand, it really is a Bay Rum - bay oil and allspice evoke memories of Fall for some. You couldn't go wrong year-round, and if you use the AS, the bay oil (like all Bay Rum) has an extra warming "kick" to get you started in cold weather!. :001_smile

Ryan is one of my favorite artisan soap makers. His products obviously speak for themselves and this is just an example of his customer service. I only wish he would make more soaps with a larger variety of scents. He has been quiet for some time.

Just to give a further idea about how good tallow and steel's service is...the second replacement soap shipment also got snarled up in limbo and on his own initiative, ryan has pursued canada post in opening a support ticket on that shipment! It is artisans like this who will last the distance...

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
It's interesting, because, to me, it has a foot in both worlds. Some would argue that there are really no "seasonal" fragrances - just fragrances. Others would point out that there are scents associated with the changing of the year - bright, citrusy fruit, flowers and greenery in the Spring and Summer, smoke, spice, amber and earth in the Fall and Winter. Different associations with different folks, but I suppose I'm more in the camp of "seasonal," and there are clearly fragrances that many of us associate with our experiences related to seasons - the smell of lavender or green moss in the Spring, or cloves, fir or cedar and spice at Christmas or year-end. This soap has a clear citrus component - you could say tropical. So not bad for a Summer memory. On the other hand, it really is a Bay Rum - bay oil and allspice evoke memories of Fall for some. You couldn't go wrong year-round, and if you use the AS, the bay oil (like all Bay Rum) has an extra warming "kick" to get you started in cold weather!. :001_smile
Thanks for this feedback i like your perspective for sure. T&s is for sure my number one. I have many brands going but i think of them as no 1 for sure. Im on the fence about bay rum. I think ive always wanted to like bay rum for its historical significance but really never taken to it. I thought it was clove and tried several brands but it generally doesn't float my boat. Even so i dont think the price point is outrageous so im still debating it. I can live with the 3 / 4 Oz issue. I have so many soaps i never hit bottom anyway.

So far maya is the only scent i didn't like. But that was a sniff test in Pasteur after i was so overwhelmed.

Happy shaves!

Thanks for this feedback i like your perspective for sure. T&s is for sure my number one. I have many brands going but i think of them as no 1 for sure. Im on the fence about bay rum. I think ive always wanted to like bay rum for its historical significance but really never taken to it. I thought it was clove and tried several brands but it generally doesn't float my boat. Even so i dont think the price point is outrageous so im still debating it. I can live with the 3 / 4 Oz issue. I have so many soaps i never hit bottom anyway.

So far maya is the only scent i didn't like. But that was a sniff test in Pasteur after i was so overwhelmed.

Happy shaves!

You as well! It's completely different than Maya, except maybe for the "heat" in the aftershave, but if you're not fond of bay oil, this one might not fit your expectations. It's really closer to their Rainforest Two, to me, with the addition of bay, so could definitely be considered a citrus soap - but again an unmistakable Bay Rum soap with the spice overtones (minus the cloves). Good luck in the hunt!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
You as well! It's completely different than Maya, except maybe for the "heat" in the aftershave, but if you're not fond of bay oil, this one might not fit your expectations. It's really closer to their Rainforest Two, to me, with the addition of bay, so could definitely be considered a citrus soap - but again an unmistakable Bay Rum soap with the spice overtones (minus the cloves). Good luck in the hunt!
ive been using rainforest two the last few days! Ive sniffed my various bay rums and its a scent that doesn't motivate me. Just because its t+s im still tempted. Sometimes in these situations it helps if it sells out!

Top Bottom