What's new

Stroping on a machine?

I got to thinking. What kind of results do you think I could get on the machine stroping a straight? Using only leather strop belts with compound and bare leather. I’m not sure on the compound grits but I usually use the green on my knives and it puts a fine polished edge on upper grade steels. Someone here might know more about the grits. I have Jackson blocks. Green, black, and white

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
I think that’s an accident waiting to happen, but I could be wrong. You keep the spine on the strip at all times. You cannot do that here and you might accidentally damage the blade or keep uneven laps.

I’m not sure the velocity might not be unkind as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeping the spine on the belt would not be an issue. Your probably right about the rpm being to high to keep the wear perfectly equal on a thin blade. I probably wouldn’t attempt it. Just wondering peoples thoughts on it. On the plus side the fast spinning belt allows for a very light touch

With care, you might be able to do it. I have used a leather wheel to strop chisels, but the width is a lot less than a straight razor. The other issue is that the edge of the straight razor is quite thin so it will heat up quickly. If it gets too hot you will ruin the temper of the blade.. bummer. Stropping by hand only takes a minute or two, so I there is little to be gained using a machine and the risk is far less.

Keeping the spine on the belt would not be an issue. Your probably right about the rpm being to high to keep the wear perfectly equal on a thin blade. I probably wouldn’t attempt it. Just wondering peoples thoughts on it. On the plus side the fast spinning belt allows for a very light touch

Ah. I didn’t see a belt and was thinking disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With care, you might be able to do it. I have used a leather wheel to strop chisels, but the width is a lot less than a straight razor. The other issue is that the edge of the straight razor is quite thin so it will heat up quickly. If it gets too hot you will ruin the temper of the blade.. bummer. Stropping by hand only takes a minute or two, so I there is little to be gained using a machine and the risk is far less.

Your right. I wouldn’t want to heat the blade too much

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Give it a miss. If other straight shavers aren't doing something, as a beginner you should opt out of it, too. Stick with what works. There are too many variables already without doing something totally out there. Experiment later, after you have 50 or 100 shaves in.

Top Bottom