What's new

Strop recommendation

I think it’s time to step it up a notch and buy a new strop. Currently I’m using 2" SRD Black latigo strop and want to get something wider with a medium draw. So many choices out there what would you guys recommend for $100.00 or under.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Tony Miller. If necessary, get on a waiting list. I waited over a year and half for a latigo and over two for a horsehide, and it was worth every minute.

The good news- he'll be releasing some new ones soon. Don't miss out.

Since you mentioned a medium draw, I'll assume you mean a draw lighter than your latigo. I recently had he great opportunity to use his new "notovan" strop, and all I can say is "oofah!" It handles like a dream. Of my five strops, it's the one I reach for most.

Good luck!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
+1 on the Tony Miller strops. When you can find one, get it, as he only does it on a part time, hobby basis now, so its a privilege to be able to get one nowadays. The horsehide has very little draw, the Latigo a lot, the notovan...I have no idea...it's next on my must have list. On the width, 3" strops are nice, but my sweet spot is a 2-1/2'. 3" feels a bit too wide, but many like them.

My SRD latigo has a very light draw so I went and bought a SRD 3" in Buffalo, love it. Come on down and give it a try and see if you like it. The Ambrose horse hide had a nice medium draw.

If I had to pick only one...I would pick a Tony miller of your choice of leather. I have a horsehide, and a latigo on the way in a trade.

If you can get two, or if you don't use the linen part, then my choice would be one of Legion's BuffaRoo.

I've read alot of good things in threads about the Tony miller strops.

I would love to get my hands on one of his strops but I am sure there is a long waiting list.

Ambrose Strops are top notch. I have two and they are both outstanding. Not only is the workmanship and leather excellent but they are reasonably priced for a top of the line strop.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I've read alot of good things in threads about the Tony miller strops.

I would love to get my hands on one of his strops but I am sure there is a long waiting list.

Check out his website thewellshavedgentleman, he is slated to offer a few in early July...no waiting list, first come first served...I got both of mine through his website.

My SRD latigo has a very light draw so I went and bought a SRD 3" in Buffalo, love it. Come on down and give it a try and see if you like it. The Ambrose horse hide had a nice medium draw.

Are you making dinner?

You won't find many people to disagree with the suggestion of buying a strop from Tony Miller if you can. His work is amazing and he is a gentlemen to deal with. That said, based on what I see and my interactions with him for straights, I'd consider Jose (Ambrose) if the wait for TM is too long. From my experiences, Jose puts amazing effort into everything he does. Also a wonderful guy to deal with.

Ambrose Strops are top notch. I have two and they are both outstanding. Not only is the workmanship and leather excellent but they are reasonably priced for a top of the line strop.

+1 I also have two of Ambroses stops and Danricgro is correct. They're both outstanding.

I have a TM Latigo, and Moo Roo, A HA Chicago Special, and a Kanayama 7K, as well a a couple of vintage DDs.
Hard to chose, so I use every strop daily, with fewer laps, but always end up finishing on the Kanayama.

Legion

Staff member
I have a TM Latigo, and Moo Roo, A HA Chicago Special, and a Kanayama 7K, as well a a couple of vintage DDs.
Hard to chose, so I use every strop daily, with fewer laps, but always end up finishing on the Kanayama.
That's cool. You should attach a different pitch bell to the bottom of each one. Quickly jump from one strop to the next and play a tune, you'll be the next YouTube sensation!:001_tongu

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That's cool. You should attach a different pitch bell to the bottom of each one. Quickly jump from one strop to the next and play a tune, you'll be the next YouTube sensation!:001_tongu

May I suggest stropping to Believe Me If All Those Enearing Young Charms?

With apologies to Bugs Bunny.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I'll need one of these when I pick up Legions buffaroo

proxy.php

Top Bottom