What's new

Speaking of Music

Who was the only musician to receive a ticker-tape parade in New York City?
Elvis Presley?
Michael Jackson?
Bob Dylan?
Johnny Cash?

Nope. The only musician to receive a ticker-tape parade was the classical pianist, Van Cliburn. Those of you who listen to classical music (about 7% of the population, according to surveys) know that name. The reason I am posting this is that the Cliburn Piano Competition, which is held every 4 years (missed last year due to COVID) is going on right now. These young musicians from all over the world are phenomenal performers. You can have a listen at The Cliburn - https://cliburn.org I am a pianist, though strictly amateur. Playing the piano myself helps me appreciate the incredible talent of these pianists. Classical music is not many folks' cuppa tea, but for those who do like it, the Cliburn Competition is a real treat. From the FWIW department I interviewed Van Cliburn in 1966 at his home in Tucson when I was a high school student. What a gracious, warm human being. And he had hands like baseball mitts!

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out. Van Clyburn was an amazing talent. I have a CD of his performances in Moscow.
I like some of MOST musical genres, but pre-20th century classical is my favorite. 🤗

Who was the only musician to receive a ticker-tape parade in New York City?
Elvis Presley?
Michael Jackson?
Bob Dylan?
Johnny Cash?

Nope. The only musician to receive a ticker-tape parade was the classical pianist, Van Cliburn. Those of you who listen to classical music (about 7% of the population, according to surveys) know that name. The reason I am posting this is that the Cliburn Piano Competition, which is held every 4 years (missed last year due to COVID) is going on right now. These young musicians from all over the world are phenomenal performers. You can have a listen at The Cliburn - https://cliburn.org I am a pianist, though strictly amateur. Playing the piano myself helps me appreciate the incredible talent of these pianists. Classical music is not many folks' cuppa tea, but for those who do like it, the Cliburn Competition is a real treat. From the FWIW department I interviewed Van Cliburn in 1966 at his home in Tucson when I was a high school student. What a gracious, warm human being. And he had hands like baseball mitts!
i do not know much about music but your comment is very informative mate

Top Bottom