What's new

So I found this on ebay...

I've been searching around for my first DE razor and came across this auction on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...725775&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&autorefresh=true and was wondering what exactly I bought? After searching the interwebs a bit I think it's a NOS 1940's ball end handle Tech with aluminum handle and base plate, like this http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1940s ball end handle Tech England or Germany.JPG. Can anyone confirm and/or deny my assumptions?
Are the rumors of Parker's quality control problems still an ongoing issue? I was considering the 98R or 91R, but if it's a waste of money I was also thinking about the DE89?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same set. I pair my Tech head with handles from iKon, Parker and Sabi.

Regarding the quality of Parker's, there are good articles out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that your tech is a travel tech with a shorter handle than the tech on mr-razor's site that you have linked. I'm not certain and I probably should have gone to sleep hours ago. Someone will chime in with the correct ID soon, I suspect.

EJ89 is highly regarded razor. You could not go wrong in trying one of those out.

I have the same set. I pair my Tech head with handles from iKon, Parker and Sabi.

Regarding the quality of Parker's, there are good articles out there.

Thanks Dan! I think the tech will be a great traveler in the future, but I should probably try something else like the Parker or the DE89 in the meantime.
Do you guys think the blades that come with it are worth using or should I head over to the local drug store and buy new ones?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to B&B.

The blade with your set are stainless so probably still good, but you will want a source for blades away. If you start collecting you may wish you had that unopened vintage blade pack some day......?

I've been searching around for my first DE razor and came across this auction on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...725775&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&autorefresh=true and was wondering what exactly I bought? After searching the interwebs a bit I think it's a NOS 1940's ball end handle Tech with aluminum handle and base plate, like this http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1940s%20ball%20end%20handle%20Tech%20England%20or%20Germany.JPG. Can anyone confirm and/or deny my assumptions?
Are the rumors of Parker's quality control problems still an ongoing issue? I was considering the 98R or 91R, but if it's a waste of money I was also thinking about the DE89?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is a short handle Travel Tech though the 40's date is a bit off.
Since it is a NOS travel kit the box of blades is a date clue and in checking the Mr. razor site the only blades with a similar package graphic are some 1967 Australian blades but considering that the 60's seemed to be an era when the Gillette marketing guys seemed to alter packaging on an almost monthly basis my best guess would be to say 1967 as that would also tie in with the aluminum handle as well.

Don't be too disappointed that you have a travel Tech. You got a mint set for a great price. In the past, I've recommended picking up a travel set for those who want a Tech head on a heavier handle. Many handles will fit the head, giving you an outstanding razor at a great price. I have quite a few razors, and find that the Techs give me an effortless BBS shave. Enjoy it.

Mike

Welcome to B&B.

The blade with your set are stainless so probably still good, but you will want a source for blades away. If you start collecting you may wish you had that unopened vintage blade pack some day......?

Good point, I'll probably order a sampler when I order my new razor.

Don't be too disappointed that you have a travel Tech. You got a mint set for a great price. In the past, I've recommended picking up a travel set for those who want a Tech head on a heavier handle. Many handles will fit the head, giving you an outstanding razor at a great price. I have quite a few razors, and find that the Techs give me an effortless BBS shave. Enjoy it.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I was actually thinking about picking up another tech and leaving this one pristine... Or I might just throw it on top of whatever new handle I decide on.

Top Bottom