What's new

Shaving brush question

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don’t know if I am using the right brush, I use the Edwin Jagger Best Badger Shave Brush, all I want is to make a good lather
It's a decent brush. If you're not used to it, lathering with a soap/cream and a brush takes a little practice and getting used to.
There are quite a few tutorials here though!
I suggest using a little more water than you think you need to start off.

The Jagger best badger is a great brush. As mentioned, there are several really good threads on how to lather. I have adopted a few elements of the Marco method that took my lather to the next level. I also spend more time lathering than shaving.

I want to change brush bristles since my brush somehow after 3 years of using it, it still sheds. I know I have to find a brush that works for me, but at the same, I’m not going to buy every single shaving brush out there in order to find which works for me. In conclusion, which shaving brush is best?? I’ve been looking at Synthetics, but I’m sure they’re are other ones good too!

I do notice where I am the super hard water makes some soaps near impossible to lather well/easy where others do fine ?
my synthetic does a touch better for some soaps with the water but again just practice I can always make them work its just some are more finicky or to say a narrow window but for me easy to correct to much water just get a bit more soap :) to little just add a little water

I have a badger a boar and a synthetic and having fun learning the small things I like about each type and for sure the badger is my now fav but with certain soaps as said the synthetic wins :)

quite a few posts on the brushes :)
one of those what pizza is best and in what ratio of sauce to cheese crust thickness and toppings :) all is good just certain things folks like over others :)

If you want to change brushes but don't want to spend a lot of money then pick up an Omega Boar brush. Less than 20 bucks. They need broke in but after a couple of weeks, they get softer when soaking and become great brushes. I have a bunch of them.

If you want to buy one and be done then there are a lot of options. Maggard SHD 26mm Brush is a winner in my book. Low cost for what it is. I love that knot. Or go all out and check out Shavemac. Just be ready to spend some money.

Sometimes a brush just loses hair. It's from the knot not being made well. Or you're damaging it by smooshing it too hard.

Nothing wrong with having more brushes. It's said you need to let your brush dry completely. But if you shave every day it doesn't have time, a second brush is a good idea. Or go all out and have over 100 brushes like me. You never get tired of the same brush and it has plenty of time to dry. LOL

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If you want to change brushes but don't want to spend a lot of money then pick up an Omega Boar brush. Less than 20 bucks. They need broke in but after a couple of weeks, they get softer when soaking and become great brushes. I have a bunch of them.

If you want to buy one and be done then there are a lot of options. Maggard SHD 26mm Brush is a winner in my book. Low cost for what it is. I love that knot. Or go all out and check out Shavemac. Just be ready to spend some money.

Sometimes a brush just loses hair. It's from the knot not being made well. Or you're damaging it by smooshing it too hard.

Nothing wrong with having more brushes. It's said you need to let your brush dry completely. But if you shave every day it doesn't have time, a second brush is a good idea. Or go all out and have over 100 brushes like me. You never get tired of the same brush and it has plenty of time to dry. LOL
I showed up on B&B with one synth brush... I now have 22: synths, badgers, boars and Misturas..... and thanks to B&B, they are all excellent. Only two clunkers I bought after just being here for a few days..... After that, I did a lot of reading before buying.

It helps if you have a clear idea of what you want in a brush. Handle shape/material is straightforward when shopping, knot size slightly less so - do you like the diameter of your current brush (larger/smaller?). So far there's 2 factors to narrow down when browsing vendors.

Backbone and degree of splay have to be judged by reputation of the hair grade. If you'd like more backbone than your Best, you could consider a Super or two-band. A little more splay from Pure or Black badgers.

Face feel is another factor, you may have simply gotten used to the one brush you have and not thought much about it (I was like that) but trying a hair type that's different will be quite noticeable. For most people the softness to scratch scale goes from Silvertip/Super to Best to Manchurian/Two-Band to Pure to Black. This is the one factor that is entirely subjective, can't really be measured even by the same person using the same brush over the course of time.

Boars and horsehair are a little more straightforward but have their own peculiarities.

Your best bet is to think a lot about what you want from a brush (you can make lather with a watercolour brush, any shaving brush will get you that far) and keep an eye on the brush threads to see what people say about the one they're showing off.

And I really hope everyone keeps that eye candy coming!

AP Shave Co G5A or G5C? These are not too expensive, especially if you get a scratch and dent handle. A good artisan brush. I also have a couple of higher priced Yaqi brushes and they do a great job of lathering. They are soft with enough backbone. I'm still learning, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt, but I have gone through Semogue Boar, a badger (not silvertip), some other brands of synthetics, and so far these two are my favorites.

As noted above, making a good lather is a skill that takes awhile to acquire. Well worth the effort IMO.

Two suggestions:
#1. Keep trying and learn from your efforts!
#2. Read through the WiKi sections on building lather.

Stick with this and you will get the results you want!!

You can make a great lather with any brush. It doesn't matter what type of brush it is or how much it costs. The trick is simply knowing how to make a great lather. There are a million and one videos on the web and probably just as many threads on B&B.

I want to change brush bristles since my brush somehow after 3 years of using it, it still sheds. I know I have to find a brush that works for me, but at the same, I’m not going to buy every single shaving brush out there in order to find which works for me. In conclusion, which shaving brush is best?? I’ve been looking at Synthetics, but I’m sure they’re are other ones good too!
Genuine bristle vs. synthetic is always going to get you very mixed opinions based on personal experiences and preferences. Just know that up front. My personal opinion is that if it's the shedding that is turning you against your current brush(s) that you try synthetic. That's what I did for the very same reason years ago, and have never looked back. I have Parkers and Simpsons and they are great. I personally like them better because they perform (for me) at least just as well as the genuine bristles but they don't shed. Sounds like you're looking for one good affordable brush, so I'll recommend looking into a Parker BCSY or Simpson Trafalger T-2. Happy hunting.

One of my least-liked brushes (that I own) is also the most expensive and conversely, some of my most-loved brushes are my least expensive.

You can get excellent performance from a name brand synthetic or boar. For under 30 bucks you can buy both an Omega boar and a Razorock synthetic that will give you years of quality service.

Where you go from there is on you...🙂

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As I've mentioned in other threads, my brush collection is complete now. I have a few trusted synth brushes, a couple Mistura brushes, a bunch of boars and a handful of great badger brushes.

I can get excellent lather in a bowl from all of them. I don't really notice a difference, truth be told. I don't time the process... I just smear some soap/cream in the bottom of my bowl.... rotate the brush until I get the right lather, adding water as necessary.

I was going to stick with synth brushes until I started talking to people here who loved natural bristle brushes so I made the decision to experience what they were talking about first hand. It's been fun but pretty expensive. I had the money budgeted so that wasn't a problem.

In the end, as has been stated in almost every post, the enjoyment of shaving brushes is very personal and subjective. I was lucky in that I found a couple people here who value the same things I do in a brush and haven't made any mistakes after I started following their gentle guidance.

I have an EJ Best Badger brush myself. In fact it was my first brush when I began traditional wet shaving over 10 years ago, and I still use it today. Once in a while I may lose a hair. No big deal.

In terms of achieving a nice lather use the soap(s) that you are currently using (not sure what they are), and as luvmysuper mentioned use lots of water to start. Don't use really hot water. It can damage the knot glue. Then you will really have a shedder on your hands. I mean face.

Top Bottom