What's new

Shave stand - product evaluation

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I know most guys here either stand their brushes up on the base or else hang them in a rack with 150,000 of their other brushes, but for those of us who like to hang a single brush on those conventional razor/brush stands (one razor, one brush), I thought I would share my experience.

Some say the solution is to just hang the brush by the knot in the brush hanger, but I prefer to hang my brush by the handle instead of the brush knot in order to reduce the risk of damage to the knot, so the size of opening on the brush hanger determines what brushes I'm able to hang on the stand, since brush handles come in a wide variety of sizes and widths.

I discovered that a new brush which I recently bought (28mm handle width at narrowest point) wouldn't fit into my Perfecto Deluxe razor stand since the brush hanger opening was only 27mm wide :mad2:.

I saw another guy's post who put his brush handle on a lathe and narrowed it down so that it would fit on his stand. That seems a little over-the-top to me, so I embarked on a quest to find the ideal shave stand for me.

As I said, my Perfecto shave stand Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KO46CTA had only a 27mm wide brush hanger opening. Too small.

20220906_163551.jpg

My first attempt was with the Charmman shave stand Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FFH44TQ

The brush hanger opening on the Charmman stand is 31mm wide, which is good for large handle brushes, but my smaller brush nearly fell through the opening. Too big.

Then, I came across the Royal Shave, shave stand which has a brush hanger opening width of 29mm

20220911_170204.jpg

Just right!

Big enough to accommodate some, but not all larger brush handles, but not so big that my other smaller brush fell through the opening.

RECAP:
Perfecto shave stand brush hanger opening width 27mm (too small)
Charmman shave stand brush hanger opening width 31mm (too big)
Royal Shave shave stand brush hanger opening width 29mm (just right, for me anyway...)

I know I need therapy, but the doctor says I'm getting better.:letterk1:

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I just push my Simpson T3 in.
Plastic hande gave in, but you can't realy see it
IMG_20220912_221628.jpg

Here are small dents in handle made by yhe stand, if you can see them
IMG_20220912_221728.jpg

Reactions: Kix
I've hand made my brush stands from 1/8" poly-carbonate sheet. So far I've made five of them. Each one is made to fit the handle of the brush it's made for. Although not the most distinguished looking brush stands, they work perfectly.

I've thought that it would be nice if someone would make an adjustable stand to accommodate various width brushes. I may make one someday.

I've hand made my brush stands from 1/8" poly-carbonate sheet. So far I've made five of them. Each one is made to fit the handle of the brush it's made for. Although not the most distinguished looking brush stands, they work perfectly.

I've thought that it would be nice if someone would make an adjustable stand to accommodate various width brushes. I may make one someday.
Would you please post a pic of some of your brush stands please?

I tried a larger chrome stand than the one I've had for years to accommodate larger brushes and while it held them, it was junk (the Charmann) with a felt bottom! Mine is more like the last one but perhaps slightly narrower. What I do with the larger brushes is what I've done for some years - lay them sideways across the top of the brush holder. The bristles still point downward as the bases of the handles rest on the top center cap of the stand.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've thought that it would be nice if someone would make an adjustable stand to accommodate various width brushes.

Interesting and possibly clever idea. What if the brush is too wide? Will you have to find a narrower razor?

Top Bottom