What's new

Sansepolcro (origin of the name)

I'd seen several of you mentioning C & D's Sansepolcro blend. The name caught my eye, and I found myself wondering where it could have come from. After some puzzling, I tried separating it: "San" and "Sepolcro." Hmmm. I know as much Italian as a cow knows about calculus, but . . . "Sainted Tomb" or "Sainted Sepulcher"?

Well, look here: Sansepolcro - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansepolcro

"According to tradition the founding of the town came about through two 9th-century pilgrims to the Holy Land, Arcanus and Giles, who returned to the region and built a chapel dedicated to Saint Leonard — whose ruins now lie underneath the current Cathedral of Sansepolcro — where they established a monastic way of life. They had brought a stone from the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem (thus, San Sepolcro) with them from that shrine which led to the name of the monastery, as it became a popular pilgrimage site."

Ha! My (occasionally reliable) "If Only It Were English" method of translating foreign languages comes through again!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'd seen several of you mentioning C & D's Sansepolcro blend. The name caught my eye, and I found myself wondering where it could have come from. After some puzzling, I tried separating it: "San" and "Sepolcro." Hmmm. I know as much Italian as a cow knows about calculus, but . . . "Sainted Tomb" or "Sainted Sepulcher"?

Well, look here: Sansepolcro - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansepolcro

"According to tradition the founding of the town came about through two 9th-century pilgrims to the Holy Land, Arcanus and Giles, who returned to the region and built a chapel dedicated to Saint Leonard — whose ruins now lie underneath the current Cathedral of Sansepolcro — where they established a monastic way of life. They had brought a stone from the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem (thus, San Sepolcro) with them from that shrine which led to the name of the monastery, as it became a popular pilgrimage site."

Ha! My (occasionally reliable) "If Only It Were English" method of translating foreign languages comes through again!
"Aromatically spicy with earthy, clove-like undertones, this Italian Dark-Fired leaf is grown in the Sansepolcro region of Italy, which boasts a history and tradition of tobacco cultivation to the 17th century."

Image1.jpg

Top Bottom