What's new

Sandrin - Tungsten Carbide @71 HRC?

When you do need to touch it up, what are you going to use? Diamond plate, presumably?
I thought about something like this, 100x25mm and comes from 9 microns down to 0.1.
Not sure which grit would be the best to use but if the scale is true then 9 microns come out as 1.8k which should be more than ok.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I thought about something like this, 100x25mm and comes from 9 microns down to 0.1.
Not sure which grit would be the best to use but if the scale is true then 9 microns come out as 1.8k which should more than ok.

I assume that is some sort of lapping film? I'm not sure how that would cut. I suppose it would depend on the material used.

Do you own a coticule? That might do it. I find they work best for me on the hard Swedish steel razors.

I assume that is some sort of lapping film? I'm not sure how that would cut. I suppose it would depend on the material used.

Do you own a coticule? That might do it. I find they work best for me on the hard Swedish steel razors.
Yes it’s a film that goes on glass.

I do have a small BBW in combination with a Pyrenean sold as 6000/1200 at hand. Do you think that might work?

Legion

Staff member
Yes it’s a film that goes on glass.

I do have a small BBW in combination with a Pyrenean sold as 6000/1200 at hand. Do you think that might work?
It's not going to hurt to try, but maybe the higher garnet content of the yellow coticule layer would cut faster/better?

The worst that is going to happen if you put it to the BBW is it will dish the stone a little, and not get sharper, so worth a shot.

Another option might be stropping with diamond paste.

It's not going to hurt to try, but maybe the higher garnet content of the yellow coticule layer would cut faster/better?

The worst that is going to happen if you put it to the BBW is it will dish the stone a little, and not get sharper, so worth a shot.

Another option might be stropping with diamond paste.

Should that strop be a hanging one like for SR’s or just a piece of leather with a backing that holds the paste?

I’ll break down a bunch of boxes later in the day and will then shave more of that styrofoam beans to see if something has changed.

Legion

Staff member
Should that strop be a hanging one like for SR’s or just a piece of leather with a backing that holds the paste?

I’ll break down a bunch of boxes later in the day and will then shave more of that styrofoam beans to see if something has changed.
I'd paste a paddle strop.

P1050723.jpg

IMG_7433.jpeg

Top Bottom