What's new

Red dots!

Hi fellowshavers!

I get sort of red dots on my face after my shaves, they dont bleed and they usually disappear within a few hours.
Heres a little about my shaveprep and my gear.

Using: Merkur HD, Personna blade, Bodyshop shavecream and a pure bristle brush from Men-Us.

Prep: well a good warm shower, and i am leaving the water on my face when i leave the shower to add more water to my whiskers thus making them softer as you all know.

Teqnique: 1 wtg 1 xtg.
And i am really trying to pay attention keeping the handle of the razor as horizontal as possible, and holding the head of the razor more against my face than the guard.
So all in all i think im doing something right and still something wrong, what could it be?

The Dane

have you tried different soap/cream to see if what you are getting isnt a mild reaction to the products you are using?

Have you just started with a DE? How long has this been going on?
It could be that your skin is just getting used to something different.

I would suggest that you add a third pass between the WTG and ATG. Personally, that single WTG pass would not be enough to reduce my beard to allow an ATG pass. Also, you may want to search out Kyle's prep. As far as I'm concerned it is the end-all, be-all of preps!

*edit* Oops...I misread your 'xtg' as 'atg' which explains my comment above. But, I stand by my recommendation of Kyle's prep.

It seems that youre slowly turning into a zombie of some description.

Seriously though, my face did that the first wee while as I started. I suppose its the face getting used to it. Whatever caused it, they stopped bleeding by the time I finished my morning coffee, and I dont get them anymore.

Hopefully your face will grow out of them too! (sorry, im assuming that youre new to DE, with the low thread count etc)

Thank you so much gentlemen for your replys.
Ill be trying out the ideas that you have posted to me, and when it comes to DE i have only been shaving in that manner since Christmas, so i guess im relatively new still?!
Btw im sorry if have posted this under the wrong forum?! i guess it should have been under "The shaveclinic"?

The Dane

Sounds like razor burn. Those are little ingrown hairs that will pop out after a while. We've all been there. Read Kyle's "what works for me" in the shave clinic and concentrate on blade angle and no pressure. When I started out, what also helped get me off in the right direction was switching to Derby blades which have a reputation for being forgiving, although the Isreali Personnas shouldn't give you much trouble either. US-made Personnas seem to offer vastly different results with different people.

You could be having a reaction to the Body Shop Shave Cream. If that's the case I urge you to stop using immediately and mail it to me so that I can dispose of it properly. I'll be expecting your pm. :biggrin:

Seriously, it could actually be a reaction to the cream.

If you're doing multiple passes and you have only recently started using a blade, then you may want to back to one or two passes for a couple of weeks. Give your face time to get used to the blade.

just a point that nobody seems to have mentioned yet, it does sound to me like a reaction to the cream your using and if thats the case you can get hypo-allergenic shaving creams. i would suggest giving one a try and seeing if it helps.

I was getting similar results. My xtg was too much for my face. So I started doing a diagonal stroke rather than just totally xtg. Strict xtg was also giving me ingrown hairs. The semi xtg is much easier on my neck and leaves me just about as smooth as a xtg. Thai Crystal was also helpful taming bringing the red bumps in a quicker amount of time.

I used to get that, I suspect it's because i went ATG. You probably have very sensitive skin like me. I suggest you go to your GP which is what I did, she gave me some gel and antibiotics to take and its getting better (btw, she said it was scarring from acne/razorbumps). Just stop going ATG, not everyone can handle it.

Top Bottom