What's new

ReCover Tactical HPC Grip & Rail System

Ad Astra

The Instigator
If you ever said, "there's gotta be a way to put a rail on this classic BHP/1911/SIG .."

Someone else has too, and got it done.

Just stuck this "Recover Tactical HPC Grip & Rail System" thing on the SA-35.

sdfdf.jpg

Now, this opens up a can of debate ...

Is this Bubba? (Maybe!)

Did the superb and beautiful lines of the classic Browning Hi Power get wrecked by this? Or does it look like a new poly pistol, with the best of both worlds - steel frame weight and support with a modern rail system?

I do want pretty or classic BHP grips for this SA-35, but in the meantime ... for under $30, this is an interesting experiment.

The product is well-made, rock hard glass-filled nylon, I think. Styling is pretty cool, IMO.

Still trying to decide about this: what say you, yay or nay?

Oh. Razor is a rhodium replate Gillette Short Comb, I think.

AA

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Not for me. None of my 1911s have rails either.

How is it attached? I see the grip screws of course, and screws that maybe compress/pinch it over the dust cover. Is that it?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Not for me. None of my 1911s have rails either.

How is it attached? I see the grip screws of course, and screws that maybe compress/pinch it over the dust cover. Is that it?

I get it. Not for many people or high end 1911s, but. A light - or having two hands - comes in d@mn handy sometimes.

There is a screw hiding under the light's activation switch. So, the two grips screws, then three small ones: two on rail, one on trigger guard corner. It locks up tight and feels solid - as if a poly pistol.

I can't decide if I like it myself, but. Purchased on a whim while looking for grips. (A pair of classic BHP grips just sold for $76 plus shipping on the bay). This is practical, though. Could see using it on a camping trip, for example.

AA

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I get it. Not for many people or high end 1911s, but. A light - or having two hands - comes in d@mn handy sometimes.

There is a screw hiding under the light's activation switch. So, the two grips screws, then three small ones: two on rail, one on trigger guard corner. It locks up tight and feels solid - as if a poly pistol.

I can't decide if I like it myself, but. Purchased on a whim while looking for grips. (A pair of classic BHP grips just sold for $76 plus shipping on the bay). This is practical, though. Could see using it on a camping trip, for example.

AA
Don’t get me wrong, both of my Polymer pistols have lights including the one that’s kept for immediate HD. I just don’t like the look of lights on 1911s or the BHP clones. I guess you can call me a traditionalist. From what you describe it sounds like it was well thought out.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Don’t get me wrong, both of my Polymer pistols have lights including the one that’s kept for immediate HD. I just don’t like the look of lights on 1911s or the BHP clones. I guess you can call me a traditionalist. From what you describe it sounds like it was well thought out.
:letterk1: It seems I have several pairs of grips for every single pistol around here ... while these may find an ultimate home in the parts box, right now it gives nighttime capability to a new toy.

Notice SA-35 has a hole for a lanyard loop; I like and use those. Didn't realize that hole was there, under the walnut grips.

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
If you ever said, "there's gotta be a way to put a rail on this classic BHP/1911/SIG .."

Someone else has too, and got it done.

Just stuck this "Recover Tactical HPC Grip & Rail System" thing on the SA-35.

View attachment 1605977

Now, this opens up a can of debate ...

Is this Bubba? (Maybe!)

Did the superb and beautiful lines of the classic Browning Hi Power get wrecked by this? Or does it look like a new poly pistol, with the best of both worlds - steel frame weight and support with a modern rail system?

I do want pretty or classic BHP grips for this SA-35, but in the meantime ... for under $30, this is an interesting experiment.

The product is well-made, rock hard glass-filled nylon, I think. Styling is pretty cool, IMO.

Still trying to decide about this: what say you, yay or nay?

Oh. Razor is a rhodium replate Gillette Short Comb, I think.

AA

Do you wear your nice dress shoes outside to tramp around in the rain & mud? Or do you throw on some rough and tumble boots along with a Slicker? :)

I like it! Nice grips when going to church on Sunday and dress it up like that when you plan on getting a little blood on it. :)

Edit: your own blood of course, from training and the likes. Not murderous, rampage blood. Always gots to have the disclaimers this day and age. ;)

Last edited:
Initial thoughts/questions

Does the gun function as well or better than OEM?

Can you operate the controls as well or better than OEM?

Is the grip as secure or better than OEM?

If not, how would 3m anti slip tape and/or stippling it with a soldiering iron work for it?

What is quality holster availability like for it? ( admittedly not a concern if it is a rage toy and/or a dedicated nightstand tool etc.)

Let us know.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Do you wear your nice dress shoes outside to tramp around in the rain & mud? Or do you throw on some rough and tumble boots along with a Slicker? :)

I like it! Nice grips when going to church on Sunday and dress it up like that when you plan on getting a little blood on it. :)

Edit: your own blood of course, from training and the likes. Not murderous, rampage blood. Always gots to have the disclaimers this day and age. ;)

That is true. I have chipped and damaged the checkering on good grips ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Initial thoughts/questions

Does the gun function as well or better than OEM?

Can you operate the controls as well or better than OEM?

Is the grip as secure or better than OEM?

If not, how would 3m anti slip tape and/or stippling it with a soldiering iron work for it?

What is quality holster availability like for it? ( admittedly not a concern if it is a rage toy and/or a dedicated nightstand tool etc.)

Let us know.

Insightful questions ... Functionality seems 100%, will shoot it like this soon. Controls and grip are not better, just the same. I did consider a Hogue slip-on rubber sleeve. It's hard poly, like any poly nine.

It DID immediately refuse to fit the k-frame holster it was in, so. Will think of something.

All it does is add a light, and change the look completely to "what the heck is that?"

Between not-many SA-35s, and not-many of these adapters, it's fairly unusual ... should cause head-scratching at the range.

AA

Insightful questions ... Functionality seems 100%, will shoot it like this soon. Controls and grip are not better, just the same. I did consider a Hogue slip-on rubber sleeve. It's hard poly, like any poly nine.

It DID immediately refuse to fit the k-frame holster it was in, so. Will think of something.

All it does is add a light, and change the look completely to "what the heck is that?"

Between not-many SA-35s, and not-many of these adapters, it's fairly unusual ... should cause head-scratching at the range.

AA
I suspect it would fit in a Glock, Sig, or Stacatto kydex (probably Stacatto is the best bet) holster. Recover's stuff is pretty good. the only thing I don't like are the metric, steel, fasteners. Give me SAE & stainless.

Top Bottom