What's new

Razor Id help? I think it's at least pre-1900

the blade appears to be handmade, and is definitely hand stamped(the letters have very inconsistent depths, and the stamping of the pattern distorted the grooves filed or cut into the bottom.
they are definitely not done by a machine. There is this incredible rainbow hue that is impossible to photograph well, I'll be damned if I can figure out what causes it, it is not an oil at any rate. None of my teachers can figure it out either(I'm in a blacksmithing program)
I wonder also about the handle, from written descriptions of ivory I think it could be that, the pattern appears very much like woodgrain, but is very hard to photograph too, although the grain is fine and slightly wavy, and runs all the way through, there apear to be approx 3 layers lines in the thickness of the handle, and tons more across.
the handle is stiffer then my black plastic ones but I suppose it could be a different type of plastic.

The spacer is a soft metal, easily scratched with a fingernail, very dull, maybe lead?

It's a cool razor:D

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I don't know anything about your razor but I had a Zep razor with a similar design on the tang. The Zep was an exceptionally smooth shaver. I regret selling it.

JGB;

I wouldn't jump to conclusions about the production methods. The stampings in the tangs of razors (especially older ones) were not always perfect. Even if done by machine the depth was sometimes uneven.

Although it is perfectly possible for the gimps (the grooves) underneath the tang to have been file cut, I would wager that they, too, were also probably stamped in before the blank was hardened and ground. From a production point of view, file cutting the gimps would be tedious and uneconomical. A shaped punch under a forging press would be the quickest and the most economical way to create that pattern. Another possibility would be a small metal shaper to cut the series of serrations, but I very much doubt that would have been an time economical production solution, either. Even a large hand punch with multiple serrations to impress the pattern of grooves in the tang is a possibility.

What does look most like hand work is the decorative design. To my eye that was done with three, separate punches.

I do not think that the handles are ivory, but probably celluloid or plastic.

Whatever, I agree that it is a nice looking razor.

- Ignatz

The rainbow effect looks to be from heat.
Just before a thin piece of metal, like a razor blade goes "blue" it takes on a very similar rainbow hue.

I'd say that's celluloid, not plastic or ivory. I have a razor from 1883 and it looks very similar. Whatever you do, don't light it on fire. :biggrin:

I don't know anything about your razor but I had a Zep razor with a similar design on the tang. The Zep was an exceptionally smooth shaver. I regret selling it.

Thats a cool refurb, was the handle bead blasted? I really dig that look, wish I'd done that instead of cracking the handles off a king cutter I have.

any ideas about the date of mine?

I don't really want to burn it to see if its that old or not:)

Take a straight pin, hold it with a pair of needle-nosed pliers, heat it until it's red hot and touch it to the inside of the scales where is won't be seen. That's enough to see if it's celluloid or not. It probably is IMHO.

I agree it is definitely not ivory. The grain in ivory is more subtle than that. I would guess its celluloid. If you rub it with your hands it would emit a vinegar like smell. Don't use anything hot near celluloid.

I don't know anything about the razor other than it has alot of spine wear. It could be from the late 1800s. It looks like a hollow grind. if it was much earlier it would be a wedge. Most razors have alot of hand work done and prior to WWll they were pretty much hand made.

Top Bottom