What's new

Question for occasional smokers

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Not sure about pipe tobacco. But I’ll echo what @JCinPA says about grocery store cigars. Do yourself a favor and just buy some online. If you have a legit cigar shop in town go there instead.

If you are just looking for a quick cigar fix and the grocery store or gas station is your only option pick up some Backwoods.

There’s an old story about Winston Churchill during the war, who everyone knows was a legendary cigar enthusiast, and always kept a large walk-in cigar closet fully stocked in the thousands. Primarily with R&J Cubans, which was about as fine a cigar as was available during that era.

But at a major Allied planning conference, he suddenly found himself completely out. Sensing the pending turmoil, the American generals present quickly dispatched a young lieutenant to fetch the Prime Minister some cigars.

The hapless lieutenant eventually returned and approached Churchill with some fresh cigars hastily procured from the nearest quartermaster … a box of White Owls.

Churchill’s facial reaction upon being handed a White Owl was such that I am retelling the story eighty years later.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I am going to have to try Granger. It keeps coming up, and I've just discovered I'm more of a fan of burley than Viginia generally, and more of a VaBur fan than a VaPer fan. At least to this point. I gave away my codger blends because the War Department did not like them as much as I did, and she loves my vanilla aros. So I decided to send them off to Benzadmiral because in winter if I'm smoking outside it will be a stinky English, not a nice codger. :D

But discovering burleys lately, I need to explore them more, and I'll have to try Granger. I found a place that repackages it by the ounce, because like the rest of the codgers, I think Benz is right, he got perhaps the last pouch in a box in America. :lol: Which I find surprising because folks are more likely to try a blend in a pouch than a tub, and I suspect the margin is bit higher on the pouch. Very weird, this disappearance of the venerable codger blend in pouches, I don't get it.

To you Granger smokers out there, how does your Sig Other like it?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've just discovered I'm more of a fan of burley than Viginia generally, and more of a VaBur fan than a VaPer fan.
But discovering burleys lately, I need to explore them more, and I'll have to try Granger.

There must be more fish poop or something in the water over there. :lol:

Burley is very rarely the prominent player over here. Virginia seems to be the base nearly everything in built on, and rightly so in my opinion. :001_tt2: The Burley led stuff I have tasted, like a couple of the MacBaren flakes, tasted like sludge, with just a wee dash of diesel. Even some VaBurs like Walnut Flake, can be pushing the limits a bit for me, as to how much Burley taste I can tolerate. Judging by what the producers have decided to withdraw or keep on the UK market, it seems most of the UK smokers must agree with me. :lol1: Over there, it seems Burley is the go to base though. I think I read somewhere that even Rich Dark Flake, the UK's equivalent of Stonehaven, has a little more Virginia for the British tastes. Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't mind Burley as an ingredient or addition to a blend, but when it starts to dominate the flavour, count me out. :biggrin1:

Athough, having said all that, fresh Virginias with nothing else added, can be pretty grim. Many of my plainer Virginias and VaPers have been put away for a long sleep, to lose that insipid green tinge to the flavour.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I am going to have to try Granger. It keeps coming up, and I've just discovered I'm more of a fan of burley than Viginia generally, and more of a VaBur fan than a VaPer fan. At least to this point. I gave away my codger blends because the War Department did not like them as much as I did, and she loves my vanilla aros. So I decided to send them off to Benzadmiral because in winter if I'm smoking outside it will be a stinky English, not a nice codger. :D

But discovering burleys lately, I need to explore them more, and I'll have to try Granger. I found a place that repackages it by the ounce, because like the rest of the codgers, I think Benz is right, he got perhaps the last pouch in a box in America. :lol: Which I find surprising because folks are more likely to try a blend in a pouch than a tub, and I suspect the margin is bit higher on the pouch. Very weird, this disappearance of the venerable codger blend in pouches, I don't get it.

To you Granger smokers out there, how does your Sig Other like it?
If your Mrs. doesn’t like PA or SWR, then she is probably not going to like Granger.

The likely reason that Middleton has discontinued pouches can be divined from Altria’s latest mission statement.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
@Columbo Whaaaaaaat? I had to look that up.

The world is officially insane. All of it. Those of us with common sense and traditional values are like the survivors in the Zombie flicks, the insane are all around us, and they are spreading.

Thanks for the tip about the wife liking it, I'll skip it then. I have a dozen tobaccos jarred up ready for outdoor smoking already, and it's 29* today. It's kind of silly for me to keep looking for new things to try that are definitely out of season.

I wish I had a heated man cave where I could smoke. Like this.

chrysler.jpg

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Oh, boy! I'm getting ideas! This pipe smoking hobby is going to put me in the poor house for sure. :lol:

Watch their video

Don't even need electric or plumbing, just a space heater and a LaZ-Boy chair, my pipes, and my iPad. This is brilliant.

Oh, boy! I'm getting ideas! This pipe smoking hobby is going to put me in the poor house for sure. :lol:

Watch their video

Don't even need electric or plumbing, just a space heater and a LaZ-Boy chair, my pipes, and my iPad. This is brilliant.
+1 on a Hermit‘s Cabin with a wooden stove, a pipe, a book, a recliner and a drink :pipe:
7A26F9E9-1F46-4414-8B8B-DAFA43C12E6F.jpeg

D0D43DDD-E33E-4D0F-965E-4AA300FF4299.jpeg

Top Bottom