What's new

Pursuit of the perfect shave soap. What's your experience?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I am not attracted to strong scents. In addition to that, they seem to irritate my skin. This skin issue is fairly recent: just the last couple months or so. As a result, I haven't even tried 4 of my soaps/creams.

I can safely use all these of these and they are great all around soaps/creams for me. Luxurious lather, great post shave feel.

1. Canada Shaving Soap
2. Baume.be Cream
3. Acca Kappa Barbershop, it's called a soap but it's actually a croap.

I haven't tried the ESC Citrus Kiss since I started having skin issues but it worked very well for me back in February and March.

Soaps remaining to be tried:

1. Fitjar Fjellheim (this one smells mild so I suspect it will work well for me).
2. DR Harris Arlington
3. Musgo Real Classic
4. Musgo Real Orange Amber

I've heard great things about PAA Scentsless scent free soap. That's the only other soap on the horizon for me.

I enjoy the different characteristics of various soaps. In the summer I like to use a lot of mentholated soaps and citrus forward scents. As it begins to get colder, I prefer heavier scents and my mentholated soaps get pushed to the side. Sometimes I prefer a soap that is low structure and dense with lots of cling like original Tabac and Captains choice. I sometimes prefer higher structure, fluffier lather like Seaforth, PDP and MDC. Stirling makes a great all around soap with their sheep tallow formulas giving me the best performance. I get the best post shave performance from my Ethos Vanilla Safi soap and it has excellent shave performance as well. I have found Wickham soaps to be excellent in both shave performance and post shave feel. Wickham is a great choice if you prefer to go vegan as well. I guess I am saying I will probably never have a best soap as I am just a soap whore. I enjoy them all.

Yes, Ruds did rate HSSC tallow with a score of 99. It is an excellent shave soap.

However, Ruds rated 10 soaps at 100 points and higher with his top soap achieving a score of 105. At that point, he considered his shave score system to be broken and stopped rating soaps. Since that time, several artisans have released soap formulations that I believe are even better than those Ruds rated.

This is a great time to be a wet shaver.
What tallow-based soaps are elite in your opinion?

Top Bottom