What's new

Parker 51 Help

So today I received a delivery of a Black Aerometric Parker 51 that I found for sale on FPN. It said that the pen was in good condition and worked well. I get it, it does look good, I flush it out with some warm water, load it with Noodler's Heart of Darkness and it barely writes. Skipping isn't the word, it just doesn't seen to write. I don't think the listing said it was restored.
So, for you more experienced guys out there, what should I do? I like the pen, and would love to have it in working order. Should I look for a replacement nib or does someone know a trick to get these to work?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Try flushing it with an Ammonia/Water 1:10 ratio. That might clear up any dried ink blocking flow.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I just wanna FYI, that a big part of the reason I sound smart if from multiple conversations with Brian :)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I recommend the pen should be soaked with the nib down in a glass of cool water overnight or until color stops coming out. The "51"s complex large collector/feed also sometimes has trouble with sediments from dyes in these highly saturated inks (Noodlers) and I suggest checking the flow first with a lower maintenance ink like Parker Quink.

I just wanna FYI, that a big part of the reason I sound smart if from multiple conversations with Brian :)

It all helps!

I recommend the pen should be soaked with the nib down in a glass of cool water overnight or until color stops coming out. The "51"s complex large collector/feed also sometimes has trouble with sediments from dyes in these highly saturated inks (Noodlers) and I suggest checking the flow first with a lower maintenance ink like Parker Quink.

I wish I read this before going to sleep, I could have soaked it overnight. I will put it to soak now, until I buy some ammonia. Thanks!

Top Bottom