What's new

PAIN - nothing but pain

fun story

I put a 1940s? Waltham carbon steel blade I was testing in my razor. It was rough. Visible inspection showed no visible rust but the blade wasn't very sharp and appeared thicker than modern blades. I tried it yesterday and had to keep my face extremely lathered to get adequate results. I wasn't impressed with it. I forgot I left the blade (wet) in the razor yesterday... Today I'm in a rush and decided to do a quick shave. I usually have an Astra in the razor and totally forgot that I was testing a vintage blade. I also neglected to properly dry it. slapped some Prosaro on and proceeded to shave in my typical 'quick' fashion. After the shave was complete, I'm thinking... I should have replaced that Astra blade for a new one. My face felt like I scraped it with sandpaper. I open the razor to throw away the blade and catch myself staring at a slightly rusted 1940s blade. Lesson learned.

I have used some single edge blades older than that that somehow survived, but no DE blades prior to Super Blue Blades. I have had a worse time with new GEM carbon blades than those hundred year old survivors!

Top Bottom