What's new

One blade razor

I had the same experience the nibbler worked good but not precise always ending up with some duds and the punch would warp edges.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
When modifying my Gem blade I lay out the target area with a Sharpie and use tin snips. The secret I found is mark the tin snipes with a sharpie mid way or sweet spot for a starting reference, also use a steel rule so when the snip is cutting it acts as a stop by the thicker stainless steel 6"rule(it does not have to be a steel rule) so that I do not cut off the little ear off. I also use a magnetic business card as a wedge to keep the blade down and not moving around. ( works well.)
I practiced on some spent Gem blades to perfect my procedure. Also when inserting the wedge do not over exert so not to shear the blade stops off on the plastic OB core. (I made a batch of 4)
Oneblade had a good sale on the FHS-10 just recently if you do not like to mess around with sharp Gem blades.
More reference for the wedge.
Have some great shaves!

Just in case you need them in europe

I have the One Blade Core (2nd or 3rd gen., not quite sure which) and I quite enjoy it. I don't use it as my principle razor, I shave with a SR and use the Core to do the back of my neck where I can't see. It is a very forgiving razor as it adjusts the angle between the handle and the blade holding head for you automatically. As a result it rewards long strokes and you can shave quickly and almost mindlessly with it. The shaves are close because the Feather blades are wickedly sharp, especially on the first shave. They settle down after that and are good for probably 4-5 one and a half pass shaves. Sometimes when I don't have time for a SR shave I just use the Core. I can get a decent two day shave with a single ATG pass followed by a half XTG pass. This can be done very quickly with single S-N strokes from the bottom of your neck all the way up to your sideburns. Like most safety razors, in some places the safety bar gets in the way, e.g. coming up under your nose, or you can't see and must go by feel. It has some aspects that simulate SR shaving. The Feather SE blades are much thicker than a DE blade but are held loosely in the head. If you shake the razor you can hear the blade rattle in the head. So it is free to resonate and sing like a SR hollow ground razor and you get to use that audible feedback to adjust pressure. You can't adjust angle as it is fixed at 30.5 degrees by flat surfaces on the head and safety bar.

So, I find it to be a great razor for a fast shave that still has a few things in common with a SR shave.

It is also good for travel, at least better than a disposable SE. It is cheap ($20.00) and the blades are reasonable on sale.

Extra bonus point because the Feather blades fit my Valet Auto Strop without modification. Now there is a razor!

Top Bottom