What's new

Old F. A. Koch & Co.

At an antique store, I picked up an old straight made by F. A. Koch & Co for about $10. The square-point blade looked to be in fairly decent shape (surface scratches, with moderate hone wear, good edge). The celluloid scales were pretty shabby—some flaking, filthy—but no off smell to indicate rot. Missing a cap on the hinge pin
proxy.php

Odd scratch patterns on both sides near the spine. Initially I thought 'rough honing' :biggrin1: but the location looks to be someone having done scrubbing with an inappropriate tool....
proxy.php

I pulled apart the gross scales. I lightly sanded the blade (85>120>220>320). I then placed the blade into a tumbler with walnut shells and rubbing compound while I concentrated on cleaning scales.
Frist step was to thoroughly rinse with warm water & soap, scrubbing off most of the grime and years of gunk.
Once dry, I began the hand-sanding process: 85>120>220>320>400
At this point I added a spritz of WD40 to the sanding process and continue up the grit scale (600>800>1000>1200>1500>2000). The original color from these drab brown scales begin to peek through and the translucent nature became more apparent. The scales were honey-hued with red-orange patches of color.

A final rub-down with polishing compound & to the buffers! This was followed by an application of chromium oxide paste & polish > buffed to a high gloss.

The Blade: after 2 days in tumbler, I pulled the blade and took it to the buffer using a sequence of greaseless compounds to remove any deep scratches and bring it back to life (85>185>400>600>emery compound>Stainless compound)

Re-pinned with stainless pins and washers, and reused the original wedge.
It took a wonderful edge on the hones, and turned out to be a very nice shaver!
New life for what was an old, tired razor! :001_smile Thanks for looking!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Double Wow!!! That is an amazing resurrection, especially on the scales. Those don't even look remotely like the "before" photos. Simply beautiful and another great old blade saved.

Wow! Nice job. You resurrected that beauty. I like everything about that razor and to top it off, ten bucks.

Top job! Are you sure those scales are actually celluloid?? I would've guessed horn in the before pictures, although they do look more like celluloid/acrylic in the "resurrection pictures".

Top job! Are you sure those scales are actually celluloid?? I would've guessed horn in the before pictures, although they do look more like celluloid/acrylic in the "resurrection pictures".
I initially thought them to be horn (at first glance), but as I began the restore, the material beneath the 'gunk' was non-fibrous, and had uniform composition.

Top Bottom