What's new

New Brush Acquisition

Hi Everyone-
I have been searching the forums but have not had much luck - wondering if someone can point me in the right direction...

I am somewhat new to wet shaving (been at it for +/- 2 yrs) and still going strong. Recently i noticed that my Omega 10066 is starting to separate at the ring where the bristles and handle meet (total user error on my part as I was learning).

Since i am still trying to perfect my lathering skills i tend to bowl lather - and figured it might be time to try out a badger and/or synth this time around...I was thinking of grabbing two different brushes to try out. Not looking to spend a ton of money until i find what works but wanted to get some feedback from everyone if they have used either brush...
  1. Simpson Trafalgar T2 as i have heard great things about this synth brush, and
  2. Maggards 24mm 2 band badger (pic below). I cannot seem to find much feedback on the Maggards so i was just wondering if anyone has experience / thoughts on it?
1601060948384.png

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

-Chris

I can’t speak to any Maggard complete brushes, but I just used a regular 2-band like yours for the first time today and I think I prefer it to their SHD version. Very pleased. Some might say it doesn’t have the backbone they want, but I like it.

The Maggard standard 2-band is a VERY nice 2-band knot. It was the first 2-band I ever tried, in a Wild West Brushworks handle, and it was the one that made me like 2-bands. My experience with badger up until that point had been 3-band best and silvertip. The Maggard version has nice soft tips, splays well, and has good backbone. It's a great representative badger knot that has a great mix of the best properties of badger: good backbone like best badger, but softer tips than best, closer to silvertip. If you're interested, I have another WWB handle with a standard Maggard 2-band, completely untouched, that I'd be happy to sell to you for a good price. PM me if you're interested.

I'm a lot more active on one of the other shaving social media sites and Maggard synths and badgers are both quite quietly-popular over there, which is to say: they don't stir up the same sort of enthusiastic conversation and brand loyalty that the higher end brands tend to inspire, but the monthly hardware reports always put them at the top of the list for most-frequently-used brushes. They're great brushes for the price, as are Yaqi.

Top Bottom