What's new

Need Advice on Fishing Gear

A few months ago my brother-in-law and I were fishing (salt water) downs here in St. Pete. Both of us enjoy both fresh and saltwater fishing and have quite a few rods and reels. A youngster was fishing next to my BIL with a Zebco outfit. The first cast and he got nasty backlash. My BIL spent 10 minutes undoing the damage. Three casts later the same thing happened. My BIL being a nice guy fixed that problem too. In the end we gave the kid a spinning outfit to use and he had no problems.

Now, I don't know if this was an issue just with the kids reel or happens frequently with Zebco outfits. But, it made me leery about ever buying one.

P.S.: I use spinning, baitcasting, and conventional reels and can use a fly rod but it's not one of my favorites.

I bet the reel was overfilled.

Phil

I would go to wal-mart and get whatever is in your budget. I like the versatility of the open reel, and have had great success pan fishing with a bamboo pole. There are very few combos that wouldnt hold up to a weekend warrior. Dont spend too much, the fish don't discriminate.

Well, I figured someone would give you the real tip.

Each fishing hole has it's own nuances. It doesn't do any good for me to tell you that DOA's and LSU pogies work for specks in Lake Verret.

The thing to do is find some people who have been fishing those spots and find out what they are catching fish on.

What I would do, is get a case of beer on ice and hang out at the bait store talking to folks, especially older men. It is amazing how easy it is to make some friends when you offer them a beer.

Last edited:
+1

I would go to wal-mart and get whatever is in your budget. I like the versatility of the open reel, and have had great success pan fishing with a bamboo pole. There are very few combos that wouldnt hold up to a weekend warrior. Dont spend too much, the fish don't discriminate.

Top Bottom