What's new

Mystery stone... 1850's UK? Mahogany box?

Nice looking stone. Thanks for the observation. Some day I'll have the time to actually test the stone enough to determine how fast it cuts. :tongue_sm

Its just another way of getting to the same place I have decided. I guess HAD has worn off for me. Too bad I have 2 jnats on the way.

I know how you feel. The funniest thing is that I've got thousands of dollars in hones and I can get a fantastic edge off an Arkansas stone I bought for $3 at a flea market.

Its a carbo hone. Fantastic edge may be an overstatement but it provides a quick quick touchup thats comfortable quickly with a little lather to slow her down.

They seem to typically be pretty long and often narrow. 9"+ is what 90% of the ones I've seen are, I'd say 9"-13" for the most part. 1.5" to 3" wide seems the typical range. And at least one end is unfinished (natural shape rather than squared off) on most of them as well. That's really the reason I'm not sure if it's a CF. It's not a perfect square, but it's pretty close, and yeah 6x2" is a cut I've not seen before, but hell, with as few as I've seen, who knows.

First shave was about as good as off a coti... I suspect I may have not given it enough passes, so I did another 60 tonight and I'll be trying it again.

Sorry to say you can get perfectly rectangular CFs. Also they can have sides ground not just cut (all of them). This only depends on when and where they were made.

Why sorry? I just meant that most of the CF's I've seen have had a more "natural" cut to them, which was something that made me think this stone may not be one. I'm pretty sure it is one now, based on the patterning virtually identically matching several other CF's I've seen lately.

Based on its performance, frankly Vintage texts were right imho. It's not any better than a good vintage Arkansas (Haven't found a bad one yet either). Why it costs more seems to be based on rarity, appearance (it DOES look much nicer than Trans/black arkys), and getting the thumbs up from guys like Lynn (He mentioned a year or two ago on his forums that he prefers to finish his own razors on CF's if my memory isn't cloudy). I plan to keep it just because it's a nice, interesting, and pretty stone. But I don't see it getting much use. And if I'm ever desperate for cash, I won't shed too many tears over having to sell it.

Last edited:
Why sorry? I just meant that most of the CF's I've seen have had a more "natural" cut to them, which was something that made me think this stone may not be one. I'm pretty sure it is one now, based on the patterning virtually identically matching several other CF's I've seen lately.

Based on its performance, frankly Vintage texts were right imho. It's not any better than a good vintage Arkansas (Haven't found a bad one yet either). Why it costs more seems to be based on rarity, appearance (it DOES look much nicer than Trans/black arkys), and getting the thumbs up from guys like Lynn (He mentioned a year or two ago on his forums that he prefers to finish his own razors on CF's if my memory isn't cloudy). I plan to keep it just because it's a nice, interesting, and pretty stone. But I don't see it getting much use. And if I'm ever desperate for cash, I won't shed too many tears over having to sell it.

You must be hard man. I am just softy. Unless I have another one to replace it I am not trading. But more often I keep both. Those who were in London know. And new one just arrived:thumbup:

Top Bottom