What's new

My World War I GEM and Gillette Khaki Field Kits (pictures)

GEM Damaskeene Khaki Set, and Gillette Old Type Khaki Set, ca. 1918, with vintage Williams Shaving Soap Stick and Ever Ready brush. The helmet is from when I dressed up as a Doughboy for Halloween when I was around 12 years old.

IMG_20221104_142131577.jpg

IMG_20221104_143509684.jpg

IMG_20221104_143001304.jpg

GEM Damaskeene Khaki Set, and Gillette Old Type Khaki Set, ca. 1918, with vintage Williams Shaving Soap Stick and Ever Ready brush. The helmet is from when I dressed up as a Doughboy for Halloween when I was around 12 years old.

What a cool thing you have. I’m impressed by the condition! That 3-piece ball end Gillette looks to be in great shape and so does that Gem!

What a cool thing you have. I’m impressed by the condition! That 3-piece ball end Gillette looks to be in great shape and so does that Gem!
They're very good condition! I shave with them often. The Gillette required a little bit of clean up when I first got it. They are both very aggressive razors and took me a while to figure out, but keep in mind this is less than 20 year after most guys were using straights. I prefer the GEM, because I like GEMs, but if I'm honest the Gillette is probably a smoother shave because the head is much less bulky for getting under the nose and such. Love them both. My great grandfather fought in WWI with the 32nd Division. I often wonder which razor he used lol. Here is one of his discharge papers from the Army, he was gassed at the Battle of Fismes but survived to Armistice Day:
FB_IMG_1667692073030.jpg
FB_IMG_1667692082878.jpg

Gorgeous khaki sets, and great history!

I recently acquired a Gillette khaki set, with a J series lot number (not as nice as yours). I’m a history buff, so I love using it, even more than my other vintage razors.

It was my first Old Type, but after a quick learning curve it quickly became a favorite. I picked up another J-series Army Old Type, without the khaki set, and a later, 1920s 102a (thick cap) Old Type.

My main rotation now is the 1918 Army (thin cap), a 1920s Old Type (thick cap), and a Gillette NEW short comb. I’m having such good shaves with those three, my other razors are getting lonely!

Enjoy your piece of history!

Top Bottom