What's new

My Dad's Black-Handle Razor

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hi,

Great story! You are in invited to share it here:

Heirloom Users Club

It is always good to share in this forum, but threads tend to wander down the pages all too quickly.

Stan
Hi Stan,

Just went to your thread you started. Nearly cried at some of the pics and stories. You could have warned a guy! Thanks for a great thread. I'll try to post a pic of my great grand dad's straight.

73, Dave

I love the Schick Krona and have been able to acquire a couple of the first generation type. Here is some information as you do your search for one
Schick Krona

I would suggest the first generation with the shorter, chrome metal tip and no script on the doors.

Thanks for the link. I'll probably pick up a Krona sometime (first gen, of course!) because that's what I thought he had, at least until I found out otherwise.

Congrats on your heirloom razor and thank you for sharing your heart warming story. Your black handle superspeed looks like it is in excellent condition too. I have one that is not quite so nice, but it shaves very well.

Had a shave with it this morning. Very nice and smooth. Similar to my 60's Super Speed but maybe just a bit milder.

I decided to try one of the old Supermax blades, too. Still new to blades but could tell it was smoother and not as sharp as a Wilkinson. It still cut stubble well though.

Of course, I won't be using this as a daily driver. I'll save it for special occasions and probably his birthday.

Coming from a family of electric shavers there were many safety and straight razors discarded when my grandfather passed. No idea what they were as I knew nothing about them almost 50 years ago. If only they were still around. You are lucky, I would love to be using a hand me down razor.

Well, I was looking for rubbing alcohol at my dad's and found a small zippered case on the top shelf of his bathroom cabinet. I noticed it before but didn't bother to open it. Inside was an old electric Oster shaver but also a Made Rite Pure Bristle 200.

dadbrush01.jpg dadbrush02.jpg

I have never, ever seen this brush before. My dad said he bought it around the same time he bought the Gillette. He said he did use it but couldn't remember exactly why he stopped. I guess his hands were just fine for canned foam.

This was a nice surprise. While I hold no memories of the brush, I'm glad to have a razor and brush "set" from him.

A search tells me Pure Bristle means it's probably boar hair. The knot is still stiff, not brittle, and smells of soap and vaguely of animal hair. After a few good washings and letting it dry, I rubbed it along my cheek and it feels usable. I'm not sure if I should replace the knot or leave it as is, though.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use this brush or should I head over to the Brush Restoration forum?

Top Bottom