What's new

Loose Stem

Hi gents, I have a predicament. I have a no-name briar with a loose stem. It's my dedicated English pipe, which I haven't touched in awhile, but I'm getting back into English blends and would like to fix it and put it back into my daily rotation. The stem is loose enough to not be airtight (I assume, I haven't tried smoking it since I noticed it was loose), but not so badly that it would fall out while I smoke. I think I made the mistake of taking out the stem while the bowl was still hot, which lead to it not fitting correctly. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks!!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You can carefully heat the tenon and press it against a hard surface to make it expand a bit, or, use a nail or similar pointed object that is slightly larger in diameter than the hole through the stem and insert it to expand the tenon ever so slightly. Also check the similar threads below for other methods.

I've used clear nail polish and put a coat on the tenon to build up the size. Let it dry try it and give it another coat if it's still to loose.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Before you do anything smoke it a couple of times, often if it's just a little loose that will be enough to tighten it up.

I'll try smoking it first, and then try the others. How do you heat it, Nortac? Would holding it over a candle work?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'll try smoking it first, and then try the others. How do you heat it, Nortac? Would holding it over a candle work?

You can use a flame if you are very careful, but a better way is a hot air gun or boiling water, just heat the tenon only, it doesn't take much.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
As was noted by the illustrious Quan, sometimes a neglected pipe will shrink a bit as it loses those last few percentage points of moisture, so the stem loosens up. Smoke it a few times and the moisture is returned to the briar, and the stem tightens up.

What I didn't realize was that my creating this thread, it's like the 5th or 6th on this very topic...:001_rolle...whoops haha. My local B&M is closed Sundays, so I'll snag some EMP on Monday, smoke it, and see what happens. I'll keep you posted, and thanks to everyone for their knowledge.

Top Bottom