What's new

Latest Batch

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've been meaning to crank out another batch of "O.H. Puck!" -- my cedar-scented tallow shave soap. But lately my wife handed me a bottle of mint essential oil that she didn't want any more, and that simultaneously cranked up my motivation to make a batch of shave soap AND to make it minty.

So I did. Old Hippie's Peppermint Trip Groovy Shave Soap is cooked, cast, pucked and curing for a week. The whole house smells like a mint explosion. I think I'm gonna like it. Pics and reviews eventually...

O.H.

Old Hippie

Aaaahhhh...the humidity finally climbed back up a little and I got a real shave. We're up to 14 per cent, nearly five times what it was a couple of days ago. I had some bits of the new soap that I scraped out of the mould and mashed into a piece about the size of an almond in shell. Even though it's not cured yet, I decided that trying it on would be a good thing.

IMG_0603[1].JPG

I've been using a different, non-shaving, soap for a while and got used to that. I didn't forget that my own soap has a lot of slickness from tallow, but I hadn't thought about it for a while. :) Wow. Seriously minty! Chill, Baby. Mrs. Hippie wandered by and asked how I liked it.

"Peppermint trip, man."

I still owe pictures of the pucks -- but they're looking better as they cure so I'll wait for beauty in a week.

O.H.

Old Hippie

I finally packed up the Peppermint Trip this morning. I got six nice pucks and one half-thickness puck. I put the "sample" size in my shave mug to use, and put the pucks in a container. Here's just before wrapping them:

IMG_0607[1].JPG

I will admit to posing the pucks to show their best sides. :) I had a small void in the soap column even after filling slowly and pounding the mould on the floor a few times, but better than the last batch so I must be learning.

The cedar was a total Hail Mary shot but it worked. That'll probably be my next batch because I have one puck left of it that I should use up. I'll need to restock a few things before I can cook another batch, though.

For now, really diggin' the Peppermint Trip! It's not a vegan soap, though -- tallow and lanolin in addition to coconut oil and shea butter. We render our own beef tallow and lard. The soap has plenty of residual slickness. I notice that there's a bit of a transition between the soap I was using and this one in my brush. That's improving.

I tested the Peppermint Trip on lathers ranging from "homeopathic" :) to "cake icing" consistency and didn't have any problems except for the predictable outcome that the really thin lather ran into my ears and down my neck. But it was slick. I am a Buddhist shaver; most of my lathers take the middle path no matter what shaving format I'm using.

Also floated the lather bowl in the sink to test how it was as a warm lather. Interesting and didn't blow up my easy-to-irritate places like warm lather sometimes does. Shaving with a milder razor (RazoRock BBS-OC) seemed to help.

O.H.

Home made soap is the way to go. Reminds me I'm almost out of bath soap, need to cook up a couple batches to let cure. Down to hand soaps that are going south, have to use BHT and citric acid in mine to keep them from getting DOS.

Top Bottom