What's new

Just inherited a bit o history

Hey so i'm very new to wet shaving and was sharing my new found interest with my sister earlier this week. The next day she had a gift for me. She gave me a straight razor she got from my grandmother that was either my great grandfather or great great grandfathers! Pretty awesome bit of history however one of the scales is broke just beyond the pivot. It's still pretty sharp. I'm looking to find out if anyone has any tips of where I should send it to get honed and if I should put the money into restoring it (If it can be restored) or just get something newer.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Great Find! Of course send it off and get it gently restored. A wonderful piece of your family history.:thumbup1:

There are many individuals who do this type of work. Ken at RupRazor in Texas restored my Great Great Grandfather's Wade & Butcher. I would not have a problem recommending him although he hasn't been as active on the forums as of late....perhaps to busy doing restores for guys like you and me!

Boker King Cutters are nice shavers for sure. This one doesn't need much more than removing the active rust and honing it up. The break in the scales shouldn't affect the performance one bit.

You could even do the cleaning with some hand sanding, just don't get too agressive on the blade face where the faded gold wash or whatever it is is.

Unless of course you want it brought all the way back to super shiny mirror, no pitting, or anything.

I'm so jealous! Both my grandfathers didn't keep any interesting shaving gear, and my great-uncle, who was a barber, died before I got interested in wetshaving, so his straights & strops are long discarded. :crying:

Simply awesome to get 'family items'. The only thing I was able to get was my grandfathers strop. Which, by the way, was used for punishment on my behind while growing up. Just looking at it makes me want to run...

Top Bottom