What's new

Johnny Depp's 'Mortdecai' co-star: His mustache! :

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Byran Alexander - USA Today - 18 Jan 15

"The mustache was a key point for author Kyril Bonfiglioli's character Mortdecai. The film is inspired by his posthumously published novel, The Great Mortdecai Mustache Mystery. Harlow recalls visiting Depp in August 2014; he says the star drew his vision of the creation on a napkin.

Harlow then created 30 mustache styles using real hair — with every variety of length, color and curl — and sat down with Depp to choose the final product.

"You don't want it to be overpowering on the face," says Harlow. "For Mortdecai, he wanted it simple and elegant."
thumbsup.gif

Harlow then created more than 20 versions of the final mustache for filming and also to be used by stunt doubles. Each creation would last through about three days of shooting before it needed to be replaced.

"I'd groom it the night before and fix the curl. And basically we'd apply it in the morning," says Harlow. "We'd complete the look by painting a split in Johnny's teeth and then it was off to the races."

proxy.php

Read More: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/01/18/johnny-depp-mustache-mortdecai/21752423/
proxy.php
"Hey, that's a nice stache". CBJ

Last edited:
Odd, I thought I had read elsewhere that he actually grew his own out and that the onscreen one was all him. I guess not. lol

I beleived Mr. Depp always grew his moustaches for the parts he played - very disappointing to find out otherwise.

I beleived Mr. Depp always grew his moustaches for the parts he played - very disappointing to find out otherwise.

Maybe in this case since they wanted to match the color to his hair, getting it right proved too difficult or didn't look right on film, I guess? I wouldn't hold it against Depp, I'm sure that the decision was made by those paying his salary, and you don't argue with the paycheck signer. lol

Top Bottom