What's new

Interesting article

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
An interesting article at TP about blends for beginners.

I don't know that I agree with it completely, but some astute observations and a pretty good explanation of cuts.

Their top 10 recommended blends for beginners:

best-blends-for-beginners-infographic.jpg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I'm pretty firmly in the Codger's for beginners camp. Until you can pull the nuances out of SWR, CH, PA and the like you'd be hard pressed get much more enjoyment out of a more expensive smoking tobacco.

I'm pretty firmly in the Codger's for beginners camp. Until you can pull the nuances out of SWR, CH, PA and the like you'd be hard pressed get much more enjoyment out of a more expensive smoking tobacco.
Agreed unless you're like me and dislike burley. 🙃

The second blend I tried was Drew Estate Meat Pie (PS Proper English) and I liked that over whatever the Drew Estate aromatic with the blue label... Anyways. Whatever works!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Agreed unless you're like me and dislike burley. 🙃

The second blend I tried was Drew Estate Meat Pie (PS Proper English) and I liked that over whatever the Drew Estate aromatic with the blue label... Anyways. Whatever works!
Captain Black is burley free and firmly in the codger blend camp!
I do like burley and have grown really fond of Captain Black, I just mix some burley in (except for Half and Half, which is kind of a different burley style).

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
There is a good argument for steering beginners toward variety. We had spoken on here before about the Amphora line up being a decent primer (and at a good price point) for the different kinds of leaf out there.

I think Captain Black actually is burley...it is just a burley Cavendish (which does change the profile a lot). The Cavendish blends, while offering a nice room note do tend to bite...especially beginners.

There is a good argument for steering beginners toward variety. We had spoken on here before about the Amphora line up being a decent primer (and at a good price point) for the different kinds of leaf out there.

I think Captain Black actually is burley...it is just a burley Cavendish (which does change the profile a lot). The Cavendish blends, while offering a nice room note do tend to bite...especially beginners.
On TobaccoReviews, it's listed as "Virginia, burley, and Cavendish." (From the reviews there, my gosh, you'd think this stuff is laced with deadly nightshade.) I think it was the very first I ever tried way back in the '80s with a Dr. Grabow pipe. Perhaps it's time for me to try it again, dry it out on a saucer and smoke it slowly.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
An interesting article at TP about blends for beginners.

I don't know that I agree with it completely, but some astute observations and a pretty good explanation of cuts.

Their top 10 recommended blends for beginners:

View attachment 1418639
Good article, nice refresher for us old has been's. Thanks.

Some good info. I started with aros but would do it differently given a second chance as that route didn't teach me a great deal about tobaccos in general or develop my palate.

Uhle's 00, Hearth and Home Louisiana Red/A J's Vaper/Anny Kake and Country Squire Cornishman would be good starting points among many.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

Absolutely! Samples were certainly my saviour, in determining my own preferences. I wish I had done that more when I first started, as I think my overall learning curve would have been shorter. It would have also saved me from the gruesome horrors of trying to make Commonwealth Mixture and 1792 Flake smokeable. I wasted a lot of tobacco trying to tone those down to something palatable.

Top Bottom