What's new

I Bought a Mosin Yesterday

Have fun with your new to you M44. It seems like just yesterday they were $39 each at Aztec or a crate full for $200 delivered. With the M44 the sights were regulated with the bayonet extended as that was the Russian infantry doctrine of the day, the 91/30's were regulated with the bayonet attached too. Don't be discouraged if she hits a little to the side with the bayonet folded, the front sight can be drifted and new posts are easy to install to change the elevation to match the rear sight if needed.

If you're looking to upgrade it, you can get a trigger from Timney and a stock from Archangel.

I personally like keeping them in the vintage look, so I haven't done anything to mine, but to each his own.

M39's are beasts and should be your next pickup if you can find one. I never much liked my 44, but it was a rebore and not in great shape even given that. Could barely hit paper at 50 yards.

When I still took the time to shoot my mosins with milsurp, the advice was to just spray inside the gun down with windex afterwards and then go through it with a barrel cleaning swatch. Is that not the current advice?

Always wanted a M28, but I'm not rich enough.

Last edited:
When I still took the time to shoot my mosins with milsurp, the advice was to just spray inside the gun down with windex afterwards and then go through it with a barrel cleaning swatch. Is that not the current advice?

Yes. You should do that at the range just after the last shot. The Windex neutralizes the primer salts. After getting home it should be thoroughly cleaned using your standard cleaning regimen.

It's not the amonia in the windex that neutralizes athe corrosive salts it is the water. Cleaning with water hot or cold is how you avoid corrosive rust from forming.

It's not the amonia in the windex that neutralizes athe corrosive salts it is the water. Cleaning with water hot or cold is how you avoid corrosive rust from forming.

ANd when you get stuck in the thick of things and the heat of battle, you can always **** down your barrel during the lulls. ;)

Don't laugh. It was commonly accepted on the Eastern front when all the water was frozen.

Those things are ugly as sin, but there has probably never been a battle rifle made that served so well, in such appalling conditions as those things. The only one that comes close would be the Enfield SMLE.

trying shooting one with winter gloves on. You can! :D

I have a m38. The original stock broke. It had a crack in it and split after a few shots. I have an ATI stock on it. I need to get the front sight fixed. It won't budge and shoots over a foot to the right!

I just don't care for iron sights at all anymore. So, I removed the rear sight and installed a scout type scope mount. I then put a laser type LER scope on it. I could not get the bore and the scope to line up at all, so it is at my favorite gunsmith's shop. He says he can align everything. Will let you all know how it shoots when I get it back.
cottontop

The 198grain in a 44 kicks hard. But the fins are restocked to something silly like 10lbs... Could barely feel 154grain with it.

Sorry I have not updated on this thread. Anyway, I got the M44 back from the GS. I don't know what he did but it shoots great now. I can put 3 shots into less than an inch at 50 yards with my hand loads. That's not bad for an old battle rifle.
cottontop

Top Bottom