What's new

How to repair threads on 3 piece safety razor

Hey folks,

My Razor stripped its threads in the handle. I was gentle with it but it seems like the materials were the problem. I would like to rebuild the threads to be able to use the razor. Any advice ?

Attachments

• 371E6B7E-81B8-494A-892E-061351016774.jpeg
    371E6B7E-81B8-494A-892E-061351016774.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 83
You can drill out the hole, and put in a threaded insert. Or somehow fill and re tap it.

You could also take a M5 x 0.8 bolt (or whatever threads your razor has) to stand in for the threads on your cap and apply a release agent to the bolt. Fill the hole with epoxy or JB weld, and thread the bolt into it. Loctite sells a kit like this.

Last edited:
You can drill out the hole, and put in a threaded insert. Or somehow fill and re tap it.

You could also take a M5 x 0.8 bolt (or whatever threads your razor has) to stand in for the threads on your cap and apply a release agent to the bolt. Fill the hole with epoxy or JB weld, and thread the bolt into it. Loctite sells a kit like this.

Thank you. Would this provide enough hold to counteract the pull on the threads when the head is fastened?

Depending on how much you paid for the razor it might be just a easy to get a new one.

This is a Parker Variant which was promptly replaced by the seller with a new one.

The thing is that I still have this broken razor that I would like to get working again too.

Thank you. Would this provide enough hold to counteract the pull on the threads when the head is fastened?

With fine threads it’s hard to say. Thoroughly cleaning any surfaces that get glued up goes a long way.

This is a Parker Variant which was promptly replaced by the seller with a new one.

Never had one of these apart but if this piece is brass and is totally covered up by the outside handle sleeve thing anyway, you could build it back up with filler rod and cut new threads.

R

romsitsa

Hello, one way would be using Helicoil or some similar thread insert. The cheapest solution would be to simply cut back the handle.

Adam

With fine threads it’s hard to say. Thoroughly cleaning any surfaces that get glued up goes a long way.

Never had one of these apart but if this piece is brass and is totally covered up by the outside handle sleeve thing anyway, you could build it back up with filler rod and cut new threads.

Yes. This part is completely covered by the handle once assembled. Good idea

Hey folks,

My Razor stripped its threads in the handle. I was gentle with it but it seems like the materials were the problem. I would like to rebuild the threads to be able to use the razor. Any advice ?

If the threads on the head are good you can try this: Use a silicone dry lube for bike chains or similar. It dries out and leaves a slick film rather than an oily layer. Spray the whole head, wipe off the excess, and repeat a few times for good measure then let it dry out. You don't want epoxy sticking to the head. While you are at it, clean out the threaded hole on the handle. If you have PVC pipe primer use that. It seems to slightly etch as well as degrease. You do want epoxy sticking here.

Then mix some epoxy, (JB Weld, Devcon, etc.) and put a small amount in the opening of the handle. (Too much won't allow the head to screw all the way down.) As the head is screwed in, the male threaded part will act as a ram and force epoxy into the voids left by stripping. Let it cure for 24 hours then...in a perfect world..., the head unscrews. All the silicone you sprayed on the head should act as a release agent.

I hesitate to post this without infinity caveats so proceed at your peril. I've not tried this with a razor but have done similar with other marginally equivalent mechanical parts. It should work for this and it worked for me. However, you might want to test out the silicone spray and epoxy you have on a non-critical part first. Get a machine screw, treat it with silicone dry lube, let dry, then stand it into a blob of epoxy that covers a few threads. If it does not unscrew easily when the epoxy is cured don't try it.

If the threads on the head are good you can try this: Use a silicone dry lube for bike chains or similar. It dries out and leaves a slick film rather than an oily layer. Spray the whole head, wipe off the excess, and repeat a few times for good measure then let it dry out. You don't want epoxy sticking to the head. While you are at it, clean out the threaded hole on the handle.
If you have PVC pipe primer use that. It seems to slightly etch as well as degrease. You do want epoxy sticking here.

Then mix some epoxy, (JB Weld, Devcon, etc.) and put a small amount in the opening of the handle. (Too much won't allow the head to screw all the way down.) As the head is screwed in, the male threaded part will act as a ram and force epoxy into the voids left by stripping. Let it cure for 24 hours then...in a perfect world..., the head unscrews. All the silicone you sprayed on the head should act as a release agent.

I hesitate to post this without infinity caveats so proceed at your peril. I've not tried this with a razor but have done similar with other marginally equivalent mechanical parts. It should work for this and it worked for me. However, you might want to test out the silicone spray and epoxy you have on a non-critical part first. Get a machine screw, treat it with silicone dry lube, let dry, then stand it into a blob of epoxy that covers a few threads. If it does not unscrew easily when the epoxy is cured don't try it.

This is so helpful! Thank you so much. I was moving in the same direction

You could always try wrapping the threads with Teflon tape. It will make the threads slightly larger Run a thread tap through the stripped threads to clean them up & then use the tape on the threads. You can find the tape at ant hardware store for cheap money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom